Sunday, May 17, 2015

Sharpening board

Having completed the moulding irons sharpening jig, I started to look at how I want my sharpening media set up and secured on my yet to be build sharpening station.  I figured once this important piece is done, it will give me a better idea of the work surface I required for the dedicated sharpening station.  My starting point is the one that  Deneb from LN published on line. I like the side clamping jig (Eclipse type) much better than ones that clamp from the top (Veritas) I found it hold the irons more securely with out any risk of side plays.
Pic from Deneb article, used as a starting point


Of course such a jig like the Eclipse is easy to set by the projection of the blade a set distance from the jig. It is an easy jig to make for the various angles you want to set. Example of jig to set angle

I mentioned earlier that I own and have used, pretty well every sharpening medium there is out there.
It is not that I don't believe in monogamy, but I like and prefer various systems for different tools.

For examples, my pocket ceramic stone is the one I used on my chip carving knife and pretty well everything I sharpen I finished on my 6000 Japanese stone with a natural Nagura stone and then on to the leather strop with LV green compound.

My jig then will be made bigger than the one from Daneb to accommodate 3 sharpening mediums grits at all time, be it sandpapers, oilstones, waterstones or diamond plates. The built in jig for the Eclipse jig will be incorporated.

Don't know yet how much distances around the board I need 
for my stop block jig for the honing guide? 
But I figured two piece of nicely polished stones was flat enough for anything.
Meanwhile the plane till No 2 await its turn

My plans is to make such a board that can be taken with me on the road to set up anywhere I go. I have done gig demonstrating various technique of woodworking or carving at museum and fairs, clubs and etc. So that portability is important to me. And that way I can start using it now versus awaiting to build my dedicated sharpening station.

Oh, that! Yes, it is two "plane" beer bottle openers, given to me by thoughtful friends :-)

Must resist... and keep it simple and compact...:-)

When I work in museums, my friends tell me to keep moving, or the visitors will think I'm part of the exhibits :-)
Gig at the Canadian Museum of Civilization in Hull PQ, 2005.
I'm working in a shanty on fake fiberglass beams, carving musical spoons.

Currently I'm working at restoring aircraft's for the Greenwood Aviation Museum.
It is more metal working than woodworking but it is very interesting work to salvage a wrecked plane into an exhibit worthy example. Not to airworthiness standard mind you, phew...
This is what we started from, found in a farmer field

I am very familiar with some of the exhibits, having worked on the mighty Argus :-)
This is me working on the ASV-21 a British search radar on the MKII Argus in the 70s.
And this proved conclusively that I once had a full head of hair, ah!


Bob, reminiscing...

2 comments:

  1. It is not that I don't believe in monogamy, but

    Oh, the fun that can be had when things are taken out of context. I can't wait to see where you go with your sharpening board as this project is on my short list of things I need to accomplish in the near future. The three stone side-by-side setups (like Paul Sellers) always have me wondering how you use the middle stone to flatten the back of chisels or plane irons.

    All the best,

    Jonathan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jonathan
    I'm still debating with myself some options :-) But I must get going with this, sorely needed right now. I will cover my board with a counter top laminate to keep it somewhat waterproof, water stones can be so messy. I think I pretty well got it figured out, so I should have it done shortly. Stay tuned
    Cheers
    Bob

    ReplyDelete