Today, for some strange reasons, I can't be bothered making too much noises, like banging dovetails in 1-1/2 thick construction lumber! So I figured I'll just take it easy and do a quick assessment of my newly acquired tools; planes No 116 to 118. Like every new/old tool coming in, they are inducted in the same way. Quick initial clean up, to assess the condition, take pics to document it and update all my files. That is all I do initially, the next time I take it out to play, I'll sharpen the blade then.
First one I did was the small Sargent. Cleaning it up, I found a model No on the blade, it is No 206
And that is about all I did to it. Still need the blade to be sharpen.
Next time around I will probably remove the red paint on the cap.
Like I mentioned earlier I dated it to be between 1910-1918, the Very Best Made (VBM) years, at Sargent.
Next up was the Woden No 130, a clone of the Stanley No 130. It received the same treatment.
It was also interesting to compare it to my previous No 130, which was Made in Germany. Dad bought it in the 60s I believe?
There is a small difference in size between them. The Woden (British one) is closer to the original Stanley model.
You can see the small differences between the blades, Woden at the bottom.
Looking up Woden , also found out that mine is a newer type, the cap locking screw being die cast and not brass as it was originally. The blue colour, the logo on the blade and the markings on the bed, all point toward the Record purchased periods, transitioning from No W130 to No 0130
It needed a spritz anyway to separate the parts. And besides, I felt lazy this morning :-)
I'm happy the way the parts came out.
Now the real fun begin, the plane parts transplant.
First I gather all my spare parts and bodies for a family portrait
The Record 078 accepting body is on the left, the donating body is on the right.
The Stanley is in between, it is also a blue painted tool from the 70s, they were black prior.
These 3 posts have 3 different diameters. Threads look similar.
Smallest on the left, biggest on the right.
The middle one fit my Stanley body, the right one is the one removed from the auction's plane.
The smallest one only fit the fence that came with it, which do not clear the body of the Stanley nor the Record. I believe it is a Sargent No 79 fence (?)
The depth stop are the same except the Stanley on the right is black ,
it is a spare I bought earlier with the supposedly fence for a No 78 and a black Stanley lever cap.
See the differences between the fences? Sargent on left, Record on Right.
I do not have a Sargent No 79 body to try it on, nor is the fence stamped No 79, like I've seen before on the web, but until proven otherwise, I will assumed that it is a Sargent No 79 fence. It does NOT FIT Stanley's nor Record's
When I first tried the Record rod unto the accepting Record body, I could only thread it so much, so I got out my thread restoring tool to cleaned the threads good and lubricated and cleaned the female threads also on the body. That work!
The final reveal
Now all I need is a screw for the depth stop. Oh, that and a fence for my Stanley No 78, I have a rod that fit. And I am left with spare lever cap, a smaller rod and fence, and a Record's brazed body
And actually, make that 2 screws for the depth stops, both for the Record and the Stanley.
Bob, coming back slowly to life :-)