Saturday, January 8, 2022

Small weather related detour but back on track

 My French cleats projects has been rudely interrupted by a good old Canadian Nor Easter snow storm.

The kind that spins around and bite you in the ass.  A suivre tomorrow...

Where I left off, I had sanded flushed the sides of my first three tool holders with the disk sander.

I spray them with a coat of satin polyurethane and then decided to make the older holders reversible.

That is I will not be gluing the backing board and cleat on it, just screwed.  That way, I can reversed them later on.  Back to screw on the wall, peg board or French cleats.

My 10 holders in progress.
Some new some recycled.

Tried loading my drill accessories holder to see 
if it stay balanced standing on its own.
Ground Checked Serviceable.

We had great weather Wed and Thurs so I used that time to clean and spray painted my cast iron bench parts.  Its a messy job to cleaned, so I needed good weather to do it outside.  
It went up to plus 8 C .
So cleaned up my pieces outside

Then moved them up front, following the sun

When I went to flip them to spray the other side, 
the sky had turned and it started to rain.

So I retreated my sophisticated paint booth inside

Of course the pieces I had to move had fresh paint. I had some paper towels 
left in my pocket, so I thought I would use it not to leave unsightly fingerprints.
Worked like a charm, you will never notice the finger prints.  Doh!

But then Friday, back in winter, the temperatures dropped quickly and a good old nor Easter winter storm moved in.  Our first snow storm of the year, yeah...


Went out twice during the storm to clear the snow on the greenhouse

Between the snow loads and the gusting winds to 90 kms,
she did pretty good

I could had swear I clear that deck not long ago???

A good 10 inch before going to bed.
Power fluctuated a few times, just long enough 
to screws up a bunch of clocks around the house.
I gave up resetting them till morning.

This morning after the storm

More than 10 inch of snow

12 inches in my foot steps

In Canada, a Friend with Benefits is a neighbour with a pick up truck and a plow :-)

The dogs inspecting our progress.
No, the snow blower did not start.
Due for service, I knew that, but was thinking fresh gas should do it.
Nope, i'll get it pick up and service :-)

It's OK, snow blower, you rest, I got this

One hour and a half later, got her done.
Got to pace myself at my age :-)

The turn around space will need widening, but can wait for the snow blower 

That done, back to my tool holders.
During the storm, I had previously cut all the backing boards and made two new cleats pieces for the holders I had. Today I glued the backing boards to the cleats.  Later they will be screwed to the holders.

A bunch of them glued, two awaiting more work .  

I glued and pinned (23 ga) the backing on the cleats then clamped them.

Tomorrow I'll install my cleats and take it from there.
Getting there.
Tomorrow Sunday we are going back into Spring, plus 6C or so, then back into artic cold.
You gotta love Canadian winters :-)

Bob, living the retirement life in his igloo :-)

2 comments:

  1. After having been caught twice, one thing I learned is to get my snowblower prepared up and running before the first snow fall.
    There is nothing worse than to need it after a big snow storm, and need to do a repair when temperature is -20.

    Lionel, amazed by the crazy weather (-17 this morning, raising to +1 this afternoon and forecasted -25 tonight).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, no big surprises there, kinda knew it, but has not run last 2 years, was in no rush 😁 ill get her tuned up.
    It is shaping up to be a strange winter. Hang on to your beer

    Bob, gathering screws to finish my cleats job

    ReplyDelete