Tuesday, January 4, 2022

Sanders epilogue

 Today, I had a Dr appointment early in the AM (Note to my medical team; Instead of telling me it's normal at your age, why don't you say, It's normally seen in teenagers. It would make me feel better 😁)

Since I was out, decided to try a few more hardware stores around for my velcro sanding pad.  First stop I found the correct one for my type of sandpaper, SIA, but its a round pad for 5 in ROS.  No square ones, they haven't seen one in years.  I know, I know, normally sold to teenagers πŸ™„

The helpful clerk did found me a 1/4 sheet sander in the backroom and we try laying it over the square pad to see the coverage.  Not bad, corners are bare and will quickly get destroyed, but damn, I'm happy take my money.

And take my money they did.  Ouch, not cheap
Cdn $17.01 for a 5 in round piece of special Velcro with a PSA backing.
But oohh I can make that work and my chance of finding square replacement's are pretty slim to none..


It's a tad cold the last two days, it's been below zero C inside my garage so I retreated inside the house with my two sanders, donor and receptor.

The power cord on my B&D 1/4 sheet sander is very flexible being rubber, but it is cracking badly in numerous places. Canadian winter are brutal on rubber. Electrical cabling inside is not damaged, yet, but it is a hazard waiting to happen.

Cracking like this everywhere

Wires are intact, but not for much longer

The Dewalt ROS, is toasted unless I get the right tooling to disassembled it.  Not happening. Its electrical cord is about the same length, at least 15 years younger (Good shape for a teenager 😁)

Top Dewalt
Bottom B&D

Strange fasteners, but they added a slot,
 and a slot screwdriver does the job.

 Both housing looks pretty much the same. although they are at least 15 years apart

Sure enough, you can swap both cover 

So i'll swap power cords and trash one.

Hum, was expecting two terminals I could disconnect??

See where the white wire goes?

You simply pull that pin out.
So there is so... Was not expecting that 

Got power cord replaced , tested Ground Check Serviceable, good to go almost as is... 

Still have to do something about its pad.

The pad may look bad, but it really isn't that much.


Not as damaged as it appears in the pics.  With a bit of cleaning  could be used with the original paper clips. But I'm lazy and just spent good money on a round pad, so.... more cleaning, peel and stick.

Since I was not expecting that type of terminals, I decided to cut a piece of the old cable with the terminals attached.  Better chances of staying together and not get lost, in long term storage along with the power switch and cable clamp/screws.  In anticipation of next repair... if I'm still around.

In the end, beside the power cord, I decided to keep the switch, 
the cable clamp and screws and a piece of the older cable.

What is left of the Dewalt I will donate to the Wood hobby shop, we go thru a lot of these and this one came from there.  Last time we bought a new batch, we sold the old ones (like this one) to our members

If nothing else it got a new sanding pad, of which we go thru a few on the shop sanders 

Now ready to go.

But by then, this teenager needed a nap :-)

And by the time I got up, its been dusting snow all day, there is a new coating of white snow everywhere.  At this time of the year we normally plan our trip to the Caribbean.  It does not look like this year, yet again :-(

So we pretend that the white snow are in fact white sand beaches and we are drinking Margaritas.

Said illusion was broken when I took the dogs out.  Damn that beach is cold :-)

Bob, sipping his margaritas 



4 comments:

  1. Actually I saw a couple of replacement PSA backing pads on Amazon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah yes, Amazon. Never thought of it, bought my previous ones locally.

    Thanks
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bob

    You just need to start using some of all those nice hand planes that you have got :-)

    Joking aside, I use an old Makita with a rectangular bottom. I think it could do with a new pad some time too but since I rarely and much, I think I can put it off just a few more years.

    Brgds
    Jonas

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha Jonas that is exactly how my old 1/4 sheet sander pad got so worn 😁
    I hear you, but planing all those cleats and holders is not my idea of fun, when a sander will do quickly.

    Now got 3 sanders going, the small vibrating detail sander, the 1/4 sheet and finally got a wrench to swap the blade on the tablesaw with a sanding disk. Now all i need is some warmer temps in garage 😁

    Bob, where our next snow storm is scheduled for Friday

    ReplyDelete