The angled sides are screwed, no glue, so I can removed them if I change my mind.
You may noticed that the middle part for the large tray (LH side) is not all the way up. That is because it is an offcut from one of the sides, the angle just happened to worked out nicely.
It won't show and it will still be strong enough to do its part.
The doubled side ones has a small notch because I cut the wrong part before gluing them. Oops! Again no big whoop. And while I am confessing my bloopers, I initially cut one of the side Ogee piece on the wrong side, so I ended up with two left sides. Oops :-)
Who says you cannot drink beer and woodwork! (Kidding)
The dividers have an arc cut into them. It makes for a cleaner look and facilitates the planes removal.
The trays being trimmed with Dadoes pieces for rigidity.
I had to add a small spacer strips behind to ensure solid contact with the angled parts. It also added some rigidity.
The big tray will be glued and screwed to them. The small one will be hinged for access behind, giving me additional storage. Here is a detail of how I will hold the small tray up. Still need to figured out the pointy end and its receiver on the tray.
The end is in sight. Need to attach the trays, one fixed the other hinged.
Which probably means a piece to be added on top and since my trays ended up flushed with the top shelf, the trim is now sticking out, hence I'm worried about the weight of the planes pushing against it. I will then add some support under it.
If I was to redo it, I would ensure the tray lip is resting on top of the shelf instead.
I ended up like this in order to get at least 22 in of length for the planes, because of my stock limitations.
OK, well, I'm making this up as I go, sort of a prototype. The next one would be nicer :-)
Next and last part will be the final look. Probably in a few days. That is where I am today.