Friday, September 4, 2020

Garden gate project part 2

This morning I look over my hardware, some need a touch up.  If I was smart I would had finished with painting  my show faces up, cause doing it the other way, I picked up some lost paint on the show side :-(  Re-coated, drying for at least 3 hours before I can touch them.

  Made up a quick jig and had enough hardware dry to start assembling one side

Dry fit some random parts.
Works good.

Made up a quick jig.  The panel gives me a flat surface, 
and the fences keep everything square

The ends are covered in a U shape glue line 
with PL Premium construction adhesive.
Why U ?  I'm only sealing the top and sides of the connections.
Any moisture can get out at the bottom.
The trick is to remember the proper orientation at glue time :-)


The spike will be attached at the 6 in end. 
Will go about 5-1/4 in deep inside socket

Ties Rebar rods, about 22 in long will secure the two outriggers

I'm happy with my glue lines

One little details that I noticed handling those gates a lot lately,
 is that there is two hinge brackets missing.  See the bottom pin sticking out?

It should have a bracket like this one (not pushed all the way in, on pic)

 OK, so out looking for a welder to make me two such brackets and drill some holes in them.
Hopefully can get those done quickly (???)  Nothing too complex.


Meanwhile my other side is awaiting some hardware to dry...

After waiting about 3 hours for the paint to be dry enough to handled my pieces.
Finished the other side piece flat, then modify my jigs to account for the added thickness of the screw heads,

Work great to assemble the other side 90 to it on the flat

One corner post fully assembled... minus a smaller corner bracket 
for the inside angled pieces

And that is when I realized two things.
1- I was not dreaming, I really was going thru my screws supply fast.  I'm short about 20, and
2- How the heck did I miscalculated so much the numbers of mending plates required???
I'm short about 12.

I already know that the stores around me have no more stock, I depleted them all.  So went 20 mins further and went to Berwick, did three stores but managed to get me screws and mending plates.  Again, I depleted them all in town.
Or did I got all my screws??

Grab the whole row of No 14,  1-1/2 screws.  
Only the top one was so, the remainders are 1 inch ?%$#@.
NO point going back, that is all they had.
Bracket removed to bring to welder.

Apparently No 14 one and a half inch long, metal screw with a round head, are kinda scarce to get around here.

So why did I picked that size?  Because it fit well inside the hole of my strap pieces with very little play.  That way, my connections are tighter, no play in the holes.  But if only I knew :-)

Meanwhile, my new hardware had its labels peeled, soaked in GooGone, 
brushed, wiped and now drying prior to paint.
Should be enough, but if I ran short, nothing will surprised me :-)


Checking out my post for size.
I'm glad I went with 4X4, I briefly thought 6X6, 
but that would had been way too bulky

Checking the fit in its intended space.

Some rocks will have to move 

Some flowers also.
It will be spaced roughly in the outside line of the red flowers showing.
As seen, it is not far enough left, rocks are in the way

The view from my favorite spot.
The post would be topped by a solar lamp.
Still looking for something suitable.

After supper, over our nite cap drinks outside, she told me that she wants three more of those posts.
One to protect the front bed corner by the driveway, the two other for another gate at the end of the front walkway, toward our future driveway.  OK, but...later... :-)

The view in question.
Add two post at the end.
The space between the front bed and the shrubs
 will become a stone paved walkway

The gate in question span a 36 in walkway

Got my last (??) pieces painted on one side, 
show side tomorrow morning

Tomorrow, I have to drive my son Matt to a Doctor appointment in the city.
Depending on what time i come back, I may or may not  have time work on it.


Bob, making some progress, but my car get most of the work out :-)

2 comments:

  1. Bob,

    "After supper, over our nite cap drinks outside, she told me that she wants three more of those posts..."

    As you well know, the only answer is Yes dear :-).

    ken

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Dear, Ill get right on it.... just add it at the bottom of the To Do List. That would be Vol II, page 126, line 1032 :-)

    Bob, who has a smidgen smaller to do list

    ReplyDelete