Thursday, July 16, 2020

Making slow progress

Getting there slowly but surely.
Hand drills and block planes done.
Finished all the H&R planes (28) yesterday and almost all the Beader planes (9)

 H&R and a few beaders.
Last thing to do is to apply my labels for Bob's H&R Numbering system
Brother's P-Touch to the rescue, to replace temporary taped markings

The remainders in progress.
Bodies cleaned waxed, irons soaking in Evaporust.


Next I'll move on to the wood bench planes, clean the till and start putting them back on.

3 Jointers, 4 Fore and 4 Jack planes

After that, probably work on the metal bench planes.  Some could use some paint.
Then there are a "few" more moulding planes to go thru.
That would leave the spokeshaves and draw knifes to finish doing everything in my till.
Then? I take a break till next time :-)

Meanwhile since my return from NB, I had to get all my Combination planes out and check for what blades or accessories I am still missing.
That always get confusing because depending on vintage (Type No) they had various things added on, new blades introduced, some removed etc.
Ever heard of the famous 13/16 inch blade introduced in 1936?
Got one, and no one seems to know why they made it. It is 1/16 in wider than 3/4 in, why??
What for??

3 various Types Stanley's No 45, No 41, No 46 and Siegley No 2.
What do they all have in common?  All these were made by Stanley.
And all used different cutters set, not interchangeable.
The No 46 being skewed blade is a big improvement over the straight blade No 45 for cutting Dadoes.

Hollow & Rounds bottom for the No 45 and its cutters.  
Also got the No 5 Nosing bottom but missing its cutter.
Storage boxes for No 45 and 55 cutters and a roll.

I am not going over these, that is a lot of parts, will take me a long time.  I'll just address issues as I find it for now.

Meanwhile our temps have swing from hot and humid to cooler temps.  My Dehumidifiers and Air Condition units are getting a good work out this year.

Break is over, time to go fish some parts from the Evaporust bath :-)

Bob, making good progress (??) :-)

1 comment:

  1. Bob,

    You are a good man, by now my eyes would be rolled to the back of my head and if I could see I'd be looking for the whisky bottle. It is good that you are saving the tools because for now most are plentiful it will not always be that way.

    BTW, I think I've dodged the Oregon move for now, my tools are safe.

    ken

    ReplyDelete