Tuesday, May 4, 2021

Day whatever...

 Yeah really who is counting at this point??  Still some idiots out there, not helping.  Smart up!

Today before lunch I had the tractor & trailer hitched, moved the pile of wood that was in my way to transport the post drill.  Redistributed those piles strategically out where they will be needed on ongoing yard projects.

And finally repositioned my cutting grid near the rear entrance.  

Plan B is now 

To lift and move to awaiting trailer at the garage door,.
without tripping on the power cord.  Safety first :-)
Yes I will be glad when that patio door will be installed, stalled since last year due to Covid ;-(
It is holding up deck replacement and hardwood flooring installation in living/dining room.

Use tractor to move to cutting grid, unload on it.
Tractor pointed in wrong direction in this pic.
That was the area I had to clear.

Once washed, lift and move downstairs to awaiting hand tool shop.
I have water faucet nearby, will also bring vacuum and small compressor to clean.
The back door entrance to the basement and the basement windows are being replaced this year.

Re-assembled on the floor then lift gingerly and hang on for dear life to the post.

Ok, so yes, also working on a Plan C :-)  And my bright plans are weather dependent.

Also looked at my bright plan to used the generator to fired up Unisaw.

Nope, only 120 Volts 30A.
But it got a remote start :-)


Meanwhile:

More scraping on parts disassemble some, soak rinse repeat, then power brushed.

Post Drill also got some more scraping, and more parts loosening.  Debating if I should crack open the frame.  It is two castings bolted together with three (3) bolts.  Humm, If I do that, I may as well.. Ohh slippery slope.

I hope to get the frame cleaned enough to take on some rust paint, without too too much disassembly??

Been shedding some weight off it.

Holy cow, that was a solid core tube, no wonder that thing is heavy.
I may forego my bright idea of using a longer tube, gulp

Table got scraped

the top given a light sanding 80 grit.
Ready for its dunk in Evaporust.


Trying to get the flywheel off. It's a tight fit.
That should remove a few pounds also

Where I stopped tonite.
Much lighter already, should be doable...ish

As usual , more pieces and parts soaking in Evaporust.

Once reassembled will used some graphite or lithium grease, something dry that wont attract saw dust.

Not planning to go thru it again in my lifetime...

Been experimenting with the chuck travel.  By now I have twisted and turned every gears every which'd way.  So I know how far it travel with a standard twist bit installed.  It was after all a metal drilling post drill.

Sometimes referred to as a blacksmith drill.  Suitable for wood?  Oh yeah.  But most of the bits are longer than your typical 1/2 in shank metal cutting bits.  And I plan to add a Jacobs chuck at the end of the existing fixed 1/2 in chuck.  The usual mod done to those.  All that to say that it may be wise to get longer tube to extend the range a few inches.  Hoping it is a standard OD metal tube???  Only one way to find out. Holy cow, NO, its a solid tube.

Since the base casting bracket for the small metal working table is twisted a bit, I plan to install a more suitable wood table and will simply shim it to be square to the drilling bits.  That will also eat up some of my clearance between the bits and the table.

Meanwhile in quarantine, I also did some more prep work to resuscitate her temporary greenhouse.

My cement footings are done.
Next is strapping, bottom boards, make a face frame both ends in wood, 
doors, window/ventilation and etc. Almost done :-)

Got some of my wood pieces ready
Need to trace top to make a template for the curve top.

Today she bought the special commercial  greenhouse plastic, she is getting impatient :-)

And then, this arrived ...



I'm done for the day, but first:

Apparently too soon, I am to help her with her portables one's then trace the template so I can get her face frame done, and...

She put both pop up greenhouse on top of each other.  Double coverage
Should get warmer faster

She put it over the Veg Trug who took a beating from the high winds.  
I have a few connector pieces to replace.
Rudy making sure there are no squirrels around.  All clear dad.

OK Honey I am going out, getting low on quarantine beer's 



Bob, who survived another day, but my back is getting other ideas. 

This book arrived just in time.  Honey I'm busy :-)

NO, not watching cat's video.  Ohh it's a thick book ;-)


5 comments:

  1. I can relate to day whatever. When we went into the first lockdown in Feb/Mar 2020, my wife marked Day 1 on the calendar and then continued to write in the numbers from time to time. If she hadn't done this, I would have never been able to keep track.

    How are the vaccinations going where you live?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting about it being called a blacksmith's drill. I was just up in "gold country" (gold rush era California) and there was a place in Jamestown called "Railtown 1897 State Historic Park". In one of the buildings that had some blacksmithing equipment, I spied a HUGE post drill. I'll post a picture of it this week. It was monstrous! I hope, for your back's sake, that yours is not quite as massive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me and the wife got our first shot today, Astra Zeneca.
    Things are picking up, but there is always something that seems to interrupt our supply. Up to the 90s or so we used to have vaccine manufacturing at home, but fell out under the fiscal axes a while back. Being brought back, but a bit late.

    Just like in war, you cannot depend on oversea shipping, you must have home grown capacity. lesson re-learned, sigh

    Bob, feeling groovy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes Matt it is bloody heavy. As you can tell from the solid post they did not tried to shed much weight for sure.
    How big compare to the one you saw? will know when you post your pic ;-)

    Bob

    ReplyDelete