Saturday, October 13, 2018

Day two on the Hall table

Last nite, I sneaked back into the shop and put more tool holders up on the wall.
These holders I made years ago for a previous shop, but I kept them.  I had them modified in another shop to be held on my pegboards, by screwing L hooks into the back, spaced for the pegboards.
On the holder for my scraper burnishers, I removed the hooks in the back then screwed it on the side of my plane till, using its original screw holes.

Had to remove a few things on the till side to install it

For another to hold chisels, screwdrivers and etc, I left the hooks then tried just drilling two holes in the wallboard. Then I just rotated the holder as if it was thru pegboard. Took some finagling, but that worked.  It did not took long to load it.


Add a picture with a led flashing candle and a carving
and we are done :-)


Back to the hall table, first order of business was to cleaned up last nite mortise walls then checked for squareness before fine tuning my dummy tenon blank to fit.

Problem was, took me a while to find were I put that small Veritas square, which is just the right tool to check for squareness.  Looking for it, I of course came across many tools which I took back with me for storing in my tills, which also meant cleaning up the small joiner chest, so it could close, and...

Did some clean up in there, it was overflowing

And now that the cover close, you just knew 
it was begging for something to be put on top :-)

Opened up the spokeshave tray to find, 
and round up a few more of my spare blades.
Still no sign of that gauge... but...

Found the other part of my Veritas small plow, which I have yet
 to put back together  after its modifications at the factory.

Ok, finally found the tool, got my walls quickly cleaned up using a large  1-1/2 inch bevel edge chisel, then using my Veritas 1/2 inch measuring block, I made sure I had a good fit.

Found it...



Squaring the ends of the mortise were easily accomplished using a block of wood clamped on my line.  Then it is just a few taps with the1/2 inch chisel to do it.



Once satisfied, I then trimmed my dummy tenon plug, made sure it went deep enough, and repeat same mortising operation as before. I trimmed my dummy plug a bit narrower than the mortise length, so I could wiggle it out without damaging my walls

Dummy plug in place, ready to mortise from the other side

It would be easier if the dummy tenon plug was a different colour than the wood I am mortising.

You can just make out the dummy plug peeking thru

A little while later, I had two legs done (8 mortises) and a new mess on my bench to clean up.




Now what did I do with my other leg blanks??

These are the tools I used for my mortise layout and checks for squareness after. 
I did a quick sand and strop on my 1/2 inch chisel, what I'm doing with it, is murder on the edge :-)

The first time I reach in for a tool in there the carving fell off, 
then I knocked over the picture. Both are banned from that spot

I stop there, and finished putting away a few more things I dragged out, looking for that square earlier.

 First order of business was to lower my mallets holder, it is too close to the Boring till

Before, my bigger mallet does not fit anymore, this is the small guy

After, more than enough room

I think I may have to look for more holders somewhere :-)

My two legs are joined together with the dummy tenon plug

Bob, who should have his tenons done next time... whenever that would be
IF I find my leg blanks.. a suivre.

4 comments:

  1. According to your retired schedule that will be in May of 2027.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bob,

    Good to see you making something and even better seeing the shop getting into shape so you can.

    I have a couple of small squares (Vesper), one with the 4mm blade and they are invaluable for many jobs but most used for checking mortises. I can understand the hunt :-).

    ken

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah common Ralph, have more faith LOL.
    Making progress on multiple fronts is one way to keep busy in retirement :-)

    Bob, taking a small rest from moving tools around

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ken, you are so right... sometimes it is worth chasing it, especially if you keep buying them because you cant find them, oups...
    I want my money worth :-)

    Bob, who has two somehow, somewhere according to my records

    ReplyDelete