Sunday, October 21, 2018

A small detours in my plans

Because... Oups!

But lets back track first.

Our daughter has been sick for a little while, so we had the grand kids a few days for her to recover.
In our ongoing war against screen time versus more constructive way to spent time, introduced my oldest to Crokinole.
A bit like curling or shuffle board except you play your piece by flicking them with your finger, while always keeping a butt cheek on your chair, for those tricky angle shots...

She is a quick learner, Grampa won hands down the first two games then she whipped me, hummm :-)

Rudy getting in the action. 
I can smell my treats from across the living room, he says

Did not realize while taking the pic, but she is laughing because 
she swapped the middle piece for her own.
I'm red she is green

Thursday went to the Glooscap Reserve for the inauguration of their new community center
I wanted to talked to the chief about my next Rotary project which is bringing clean water to all our reserves. The Provincial Lieutenant Governor General was there, also another politician I knew (Leo Glavine) Figured It would be a good place as any to sound off my bright plans :-)

A dance ceremony featuring the little ones. Very enthusiastic dancers :-)

What the Queen representative drive in Nova Scotia.
A new 2018 Lincoln Continental. Well chauffeured in, not driving :-)


That is what I want for my next car, currently driving a Lincoln MKZ. I drooled at his car, but after seeing the price on line, starting around Cdn $64,000, I think I will wait a bit for them to depreciated some :-) I long figured out it is pointless and expensive for nothing to buy a new car.
Return of short lease, these cars are not going to get much of a rough treatment, lets face it, they are older people cars :-)

And then Jean, Rudy and I made it back home in the sunset

Later on we had company over, so me and Jean cooked in the kitchen together. Somehow she is the one that managed to get flour on her while I was the one making the Bannock bread :-)


Yes, we have fun in the kitchen :-)

Did not get much shop time, but still managed to make some progress: The proverbial one step forward, two steps backward.

When I last left, my rear legs blanks ripped from a 2X4 were awaiting cleaning before I could layout my joinery.
Did a quick pass on the jointer then look at them again.


Very naughty piece of wood.
Oh, and yes knotty also :-)

I gave up on those two rough blanks, by the time I cleaned them up, I will be left with Texas style toothpicks.  But the big turn off was the amount of naught.. Knotty-nest that is going right thru. Not much structural strength for a leg :-(

Plan B, last nite went to the wood shop and glue up two pieces of lumbers, ripped from a wide plank I had.
This morning went back to the wood shop to get them unclamped and dressed up.
Well poop, good thing I brought along my front legs to ensure I machined them at the final size.

See anything wrong in this picture??

Good width 

But a tad smaller in thickness


%$%#$@& When I laminated by first blanks it was from freshly dressed rough 4/4 lumber, I ended up just shy of 2 inch in thickness.
The one I made last nite were from a piece of dressed 3/4 inch stock, the thickness is more like shy of 1-1/2 inch thick.  Oups...

Back home, to ponder my Plan C

I think I found a suitable piece of stock to make solid ones

While I was gone, she started a fire on top of the Spruce tree we cut earlier.
First she drilled some 3/8 holes in the stump

But next thing you know, it was time to go to a benefit supper at the Lions club in Wilmot.

Bob, with a small setback, no biggie

4 comments:

  1. Hi Bob

    You seem to have had a busy time :-)
    I had to Google Bannock bread, looks like something worth trying out.

    Brgds
    Jonas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jonas
    Yes, I keep busy :-)
    That Bannock bread is very easy to do. Heck, If I can do it, anyone should be able to. One of the trick is to avoid working your dough too much. Have fun, its cheap, easy and tasty.

    Bob, the messy baker, apparently :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Red/Green? That's a Canadian thing, yes?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha Ha Mike
    Yes Red Green and duct tape
    If the women don't find you handsome, they should find you handy :-)
    http://www.redgreen.com/

    Bob, who has been known to used duct tape before

    ReplyDelete