Tuesday, October 16, 2018

A great Rotary day

Yesterday started the day with a visit by our District Governor (DG) to my workshop.
We got talking about woodworking the night before at the meet and greet and he wanted to see it.
Phew, good thing it is currently a working shop, I can show it and walk around :-)

Following that it was time for Rotary business. Executive meeting, DG meeting and of course our regular meeting. We went over our business plan and aligning some of our projects with our DG objectives for the year.
After our meetings we took our DG on a tour around town to see some of the projects we worked on. Every year, when our District Governor comes to see us, we in turn make a donation once a year in his or her name to the Rotary International fund.  That is in addition to what we give to the foundation, throught member's personal contributions and of course, our club.

The big check presentation at the Rotary Riverside park
The DG is the one on my left holding the check, our president Christine is holding the other end

That international fund is used on big projects around the world.
Notably bringing medical aids and clean water in various locations.
But each club can also access some funds for local projects that are beyond our reach
Truly is a win win contribution that can have enormous impact

For the last 30 years, one of our big international project has been Polio Plus
As Rotarians, we are proud to say that we are very close to eliminate Polio around the world.
The few recorded cases last year were in an area that we could not get into because of conflicts.
We are now inside, so we have to start thinking about what do we do next?

If we  When we eliminate Polio, this would only be the second virus eliminated by man.

One of the thing we want to strengthen this year is the level of cooperation among service clubs
Perfect, this had been on my mind a lot lately with my school lunch program
Thru it, I enrolled the Middleton Lions club and we are both funding my lunch program

The beginning of my school lunch program started with me funding the initial equipment purchases, which I later supplemented with a Popcorn machine.
Then I enrolled both my Rotary club and the Lions to help me

It's working, we have saved the school cafeteria and the kids are feed, but... it still cost the parents $4 a meal for their kids. That's $20 a week, $80 a month and  $800 a year, for each kids.
Not good enough, I want to feed all the primary kids grade 1-5 a free lunch.

To do it, just in our club catchment area, that is a lot of schools and kids. We could not do it on our own of course.  But with the help of all Rotary clubs in NS and other service clubs, we could do it province wide.
Yes, it will cost money and would required lots of volunteers, and food donation to pull it off.
But that is my dream and I am going for it.

Kids are our future, no one, especially kids, can be the best they can be on an empty stomach.
If we can feed all those kids breakfast AND lunch, we can ensure they will be better off and we would save their parents money on their budget. Hopefully enough to start making an impact on their life

Long term solution in my bright plans include turning on the kids to gardening.
They would be more inclined to eat vegetables they have helped and seen grow and hopefully convinced their parents to grow at home.
That would make a longer lasting differences.  We live here in a prime agricultural region, sadly many go without proper vegetables and fruits (have you seen the prices lately?? Never mind Organic!!) and when the local economy is depressed, people turn more toward junk food and processed food.
In my postings around the country, I came and left Nova Scotia 3 times. On our last return in 2011
I could not help but noticed a drastic increase in obesity in the valley.
With that rise in obesity it takes a $$$ burden on our health services

 If I can dream big, I can spend money to save money and hopefully make a lasting difference.
Yesterday I volunteered to sit on the Soldier Memorial hospital foundation.  They requested a representative from each service club in the area.  Hum, the possibilities are endless :-)

Meanwhile, my other dream is to bring clean water to all the reserves in our country without potable water for far too long. In this day and age there are no valid excuse, but it is going to take a lot of commitments and yes money. Can it be done? We can sure make a difference!

If you live in the area please drop your toony into our Toony draw
Together we can change the world one toony ($2) at a time

Bob having a great Rotary day, but no shop time
Next we will return to normal woodworking blogging :-)

8 comments:

  1. Thank you for your service and for reminding me about Rotary. I just made a donation to my local Toronto chaper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Paul, every little bit helps, there is so much to do, we cannot do it alone.

    Have a great day my friend, much appreciated

    Bob, the Rotarian

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Ken
    All in a day work for a retiree :-)

    Bob, who likes to keep busy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bob do you sleep at all?
    Kudos on the feeding of the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Truth be know Ralph, I take cat naps :-)
    You tell me were and when to sleep, how long and I go to sleep.
    Yo know the old saying: You can take the man out of the military but you cannot take the military out of the man.


    Thanks for the kudo, appreciated Brother

    Bob, going for his nap

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Bob

    Great to see such a commitment.
    Not only dreaming about making the world a better place but actually doing something for it is very commendable

    My older brother was part of a Rotary exchange student program back in 1987, so he got to spend a year at an American high school.
    I don't know if they still do those exchange student programs.

    Brgds
    Jonas

    ReplyDelete
  7. HI Jonas
    thanks, much appreciated
    Yes we do still have exchange programs with international students. We recently hosted a bunch at our club.

    We are true believers in exposing our youth to various parts of the world, make for better world citizen.

    Bob, back from his weekly Rotary meeting

    ReplyDelete