Thursday, June 20, 2019

Catching up

So many things, so little time...
Since completing that precious box, I stayed away from the shop.  Just went in long enough to put a few things away.

Something rarely seen around here...
Oh, there IS a bench top :-)

Last month, we culled a few more small trees around the yard, but I had been unable to finish cleaning up and burning my brushes. We were having crazy weather, big swing in temps, freeze warnings, lots of rain you named it!!

Our two portable greenhouses, were just recently taken down,
 that's how much of a screwy Spring we had.
The white birch on the middle right were cut last month. 

With decent temperatures around for a little while, she took down her greenhouses a few days ago, everything has been transplanted around the various plants or garden beds.

The Asperagus have been harvested many times over by now.
The strawberries in the background are now loaded with flowers and small buds

Since I need a break from my workshop, may as well tend to some tasks around the yard.

A few weeks ago my neighbour across the street has cut down all the tall (About 90-100 ft) red pines trees in front of his property.  That not only changed the landscape but it sure changed how much winds and sun my front yard is getting

The front of my house, facing this view is roughly facing west

One guy cutting with a chain saw, the machine in the back pick up the logs 
 stored them in its back then go pile them away

Really transformed my view.  He has a nice pile of logs in his yard :-)
There is a least three projects in that shot:
1- Make a proper English garden bench
 2- Replace bird house on pole by proper flag pole 
3- Install irrigation system to reach this bed

Yesterday brought Jean's brother Dennis with his chain saw to help me clean up my own yard.  He can do in a few hours what would take me a week to do :-)

Got all the trees I previously cut, all cross cut and the branches 
all cleaned up and ready to burn.

Currently we are under burn restrictions, updated daily at 1400 hrs (2 PM for my civilians friends)
Today will probably be like yesterday, restricted until 2000 hrs.  Last nite I was too tired to burn, went to bed early.

While I had a strong man around, we cut free the bottom ground level of my existing deck and dragged it away to its temporary spot.

There was roughly a 11 X 11 ft octagonal platform at the bottom of the stairs

Since the deck steps rested on it, had to improvise

Dragged it all the way to the corner lot, were my future outside dining room would be located.
That way I can experiment with its final location and checked my views around.
I will put on a temporary 10 X 10 canvas top on it.  My future structure would be 14 X 14 ft but this will get me some sense of how it best fit in the yard. 

We flipped it over and tow it with my tractor
It was a tad heavy, my tractor was spinning its wheel a few time.
We had to lift the front of the deck so it would not plow into the ground

At its intended destination, we re-flipped it up.
Lost one board in transit, there is some rot on that corner were board is missing.

Will fix and recycle this platform somewhere else in the yard when the time come to move it again

Hoping to get started soon with the deck demolition and construction of new one, but first I got two projects in the cue that I must get to.
First off I must finish that small table for Crystal, its been a while, too long.  Many interruptions but gotta get it done.

So back to the shop we go, first thing first, need two more leg's blanks.  Don't like the last two I made to replaced the original two...

Bob,  sharpening his pencil and making plans 

5 comments:

  1. Bob,

    Your photos (except of the clean bench) make my back hurt just looking at 'em :-). Enjoy the first day of Summer.

    ken

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha Ha Ken
    The only back breaking for me was the repetitive bending for the branches, oh! and that deck part was some heavy :-)

    Bob, slathering the Voltaren extra strength :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had dads double bid ace for many years. Cleaning it up I found XXXTools in center and nb half way to edge. ??what year would it be ? Dad was buck saw and axe lumberjack. I remember him saying that he averaged 3 and half cord a day and swamped a road for 8 foot rocker. Lol

      Delete
    2. I have dads double bid axe with XXXTools stamped in center. 3 inchs thick where handle goes ?? What year is this axe made ? I also see nb half way to cutting edge. Thanks

      Delete
  3. Hi unknown
    f your axe has XXX on it, that sounds to me like a Campbell Bros axe from NB. Check under the axe label on my blog for Campbell bros axe for its story

    Cheers

    Bob

    ReplyDelete