Thursday, June 13, 2019

Box pretty well all done

Famous last words...
Today started slow, went to get a load of garden soil (peat moss, soil and other ingredients) in Aylesford at the best peat moss place, Annapolis Valley Peat Moss.  Their stuff is gorgeous and plants love it.  Heather only used that particular peat moss for her African Violets, which meant that when  we were posted away, I had to make at least one run back to the valley each year to get the stuff by the big bag.

Now we used the pick up truck, much cheaper.

One bucket load for $30, you do the math.
That is a lot of smaller bags at $3.95 ea :-) 

After we went for brunch at the Green Cafe here in town.  We love their breakfast and makes it a brunch.  Then a quick chocolate run to my favorite boutique in Annapolis Royal, Great expectations, were I always find some good tools.  I may have bought one or two, whatever tools and as usual no chocolates made it home alive :-)
Back home a quick nap and time to get cracking.

I look on line to get some ideas for my feet brackets

and made this quick and dirty bracket template

I used a 1/2 in Forstner bit

Then pack my stuff and off to the base woodshop we go.

What I brought

First order of business was to cut the chamfer on the top of my skirt boards.

Quick work with my LN LA jack

I shot my angle by hands no guide lines.
I was worry about matching at the corners, but to my surprise they came off great
on the first try.  Sometimes you get lucky I guess :-)
Either that or memory muscles kicked in.

I could had used a smaller scroll blade, but had to do with the 3/8 blade installed.
NO biggie just had to make more relief cuts.

One hour later, I had my 4 skirt/feet brackets done, tenons have been trimmed
and I glued in small pieces in the groove of the stiles in prevision to cut the mortises

I dunno who is doing this, but looks like he or she is learning about wood movement.
Yes wood cup and alternating the grain direction to compensate does not always work... 

Back home, Jean got the truck unloaded and its almost time to go to our monthly club 125, in support of the arena in town.  Half the year, the money goes to the fire hall, the other half the arena.
Good cause, good food, good company.


Tonite before going to bed, I plan to glue on the skirt boards, so tomorrow I can start the first coat of whatever on the box, and finish the cover.

That means cutting four (4) mortise in the stiles, raise the panel and assemble.
I got the feeling that tomorrow will be a long day in the shop.
Getting there slowly but surely.

Time to get clean up, see you on the flip side.

Bob, in the final stretch of his project

6 comments:

  1. Bob, you are out doing yourself. Paul will be in a mansion. See you Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Taking a cue from the schedule in yesterday's blog you will have to use shellac.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bob,

    And he sticks the landing....I'm breathing hard just keeping up with your time constraints.

    If those panels are ever made flat and true I'll bet you could see through 'em :-).

    ken

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bob, I love the wavy pattern you made with your glued panels. How come did you succeed to make all of them with the exact same wave? :)

    Keep up the great work, you're almost done!

    The Woodbutcher posting stupid comments.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Didn't realize your skirt boards would be shaped so nicely. Those are going to look great. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks guys
    Im sure getting that wavy pattern was not so easy, but whomever did it pulled it off nicely :-) Its cedar and I'm told its for outdoor planters.

    Bob, who never saw cupping this bad before :-)

    ReplyDelete