Starting to rebuilt window frame corner.
2 more pieces to go on top.
Window corner is now strong and weather tight. Remains to
plane flush new sill piece, and put last piece on top .
As I am building back up the corner of the frame, pinned and epoxied, I have to ensure I do not glue the frame to the house wall. That window will be replaced down the road, along with the garage doors. Between the epoxy and the caulking, I make sure water has no place to go. I also treated the soft corner of the wall board with PC-Petrified to solidify it, it is a tad crumbly.
But the corner eave is making me scratch my head...
There was apparently never any means to close off the bottom, which means it is a good place for snow to back in. There are evidences of water damages in the spare room below it, right at the ceiling/wall interface.
Must make sure I correct that situation properly before I fix the spot inside, which mean another trip inside the attic to check for the extend of damages. Oh joy, I love NOT going in the attic!
Not quite sure how best to fix that eave corner bottom...
I thought about making a tin metal bottom, or building up a bottom plywood etc, or, simply extending it all the way down to the other roof line and flashing it.
When we bought the house, we had the roof redone and the roofer were supposed to addressed that spot. I can see that the new shingles are going under, but they left the bottom open, Grrrr...
Roof at purchase time. Look like the eave goes down to the roof line.
After new roof. Hard to see in the dark area, but look like
the return piece is missing... S.O.B.
In the end I decided to extend the replacement piece down close to the roof and make it weather tight with roof patching cement, then flashing it with a 8 in wide piece of zinc.
Putting caulking into my dado that capture the plywood bottom.
I sealed the inside seams with a generous amount of roofing cement.
New piece installed and sealed the bottom with roofing cement.
Flashing will cover that seam to finish it properly and make it bird proof.
And looking at my power mast, I'm not sure it has been properly flashed when it was replaced, after the roof was re-shingled. Going to have a closer look. This is potentially dangerous to work around it, but I'm used to work on and around high voltage. Why was my power mast replaced? Because the guy who cut the tree in front of my house, hit the power line and bent the mast...
Wow, what a great job! No wonder I have insects and water ingress...
But whatever I do, I have to finished it before the rain start again...
Both areas I worked on are now weather tight, tomorrow I'll install my flashing, and put on the last piece on the garage window. I will also address the flashing on the mast, sigh!
I am now sweating buckets, time to stop. I started around 0800 AM, before the sun get going too much.
And now you know why I rather fix everything myself than pay "professionals" to fix anything on my house... Finding good contractors or mechanics is never easy. When you do find them, keep them!!
Bob, cursing in both official language...