Friday, March 19, 2021

It's a lovely day in the neighbourhood

 This is beginning to be an annoying day, but had worse :-)

After a few days of mid teens C, woke up this morning to a white blanket of snow.  Spring is not currently forecasted to resumed until Monday with plus 11 C.

I swear there was no snow when I went to bed, was still raining

Jean wanted to have some sort of dedicated hand held vacuum for her plant room. So checked it out quickly on line and off to Canadian Tire I go.

But first, I had to clear the snow off the car just to find a nice coat of ice under to scrape.  Sigh.

The one she wanted was $229, was on sale for $129, so I spend the $100 on a grinder stand ($80) and a 3 prongs wall timer ($20) for her plant stands. Perfect :-)

Her vacuum, inspected by Rudy

And I got my stand while staying in budget :-)

Feeling better already :-)

Got home just to find out that my sealed box for her vacuum did not contained the rechargeable battery as indicated on the box???

Returned to the store exchanged it with another, checked before leaving that it had the battery.

Back home, it charged and work fine.  Moving on to my next box my grinder stand.

Look well packed

Top layer of foam

This is the top to mount the grinder.  Heavy steel and cast construction

Bottom layer.  Found a loose bolt an washer in it.
But no missing M6 nut.

 Found a loose screw and washer ?? Instruction says it takes 23 mins on average to assemble.  Huh, that sounds slow, they must be using metric threads? :-)

Put it all together in 15 minutes including searching for a missing nut to fasten the tray to the stand.  Checked all packing stuff, no luck.  I am missing a %$#@ nut and you guessed it, it is metric.  

What are the odds that I would have metric fasteners?  Nada, None, Zero....Another trip to same store....

Height of central post is adjustable, in discrete steps
giving you about 12 inch of play.
Should be plenty to find my correct height.
Top post is still covered in oil.

BUT...

Beside the bag of hardware for fastening a grinder on top, two (2) sizes of hex key..
I have a lonely bolt and washer missing a M6 nut.
Phillips screwdriver not included, I went to fetched it.

Meanwhile my tax accountant called, our taxes returns are ready.  Since I have to go out again may as well get my spare nut....

Did not had much difficulties getting my spare part.  Walked in the store, went to hardware's section looking for my metric M6 nut.  Very slim picking in metric fasteners, everything is SAE, yes even in Metric Canada....

The only nuts I found were a pack of 5 stainless M6 nuts. Off to the return counter.  

Explained briefly my problem to the poor girl who looked lost, she turned around and her supervisor recognized me from earlier for the battery.  She apologized profoundly, understood the problem.  Tore open the bag, gave me two nuts and told the girl to write off the damaged bag.  I'm happy, problem solved quickly at the cash register, next...

Next stop, tax accountant.  Turns out I owe this year, damn you COVID :-(

Back home had a lovely supper with Jean and our youngest granddaughters. 

Scratched the dogs ears, butt and gave them treats

 Life is good again

 Ready for whatever tomorrow is bringing... Just take the snow away will you?? 


I'll explain next, why I went and get a grinder stand.  I'll buy another next time they go on sale.


Bob, sipping coffee, breathing...hummmmmm :-)

3 comments:

  1. I like the look of the grinder stand. Scratching the bald spot (which is growing wider) trying to figure out what the blue thing is for? BTW it is cold here again but no snow even though the weather seers predicted it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bald spot getting wider, huh? Me too, it's a race between my hair turning gray or abandoning ship. Not sure who is winning :-)

    That blue plastic thing is an accessory tray. The two vertical half moon shaped parts are to store spare grinding disks up to 10 inch. The flat part in front has two separated well. Rather shallow, I will put a water cup on it. I like the storage ideas but grinding is messy, will need some covers for the spare disks.

    Bob, who think he has figured out his sharpening station needs (?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought it was a shroud for the wheels. I saw a pic of myself from boot camp and my hairline went down to my eyebrows. I am losing a lot of hair up front. The back has been bald since in 30.

    ReplyDelete