Wednesday, June 3, 2020

You know the drill...

Field strip, de-rust, scrape/strip paint, paint, scrape some more, touch ups then lubricated and re-assemble.  Since My No 1980  has a  solidly frozen up gears selectors (HI-Lo speed), I took it apart and soak it in Evaporust for a few days, tried to budged it, re-soaked, repeated until I finally rinsed and stopped the process.  Frame, gears, selector knurled outer shell, came out pretty clean, but still refused to budge.  There is some slack, I can start to turn it a bit, but not forcing it.
I am going to have to drive the pin out and break it open to fix it... for another day.
It is currently stuck in the hi speed gear (outer gear on gear wheel) and is purring along.

Meanwhile the frame look pretty bare now, so may as well repaint it.
Had some glossy black rust paint and a red rust paint that look like a pretty close match to MF red.
Currently drying after its second red and black coats.

Screw the handle partly on to help balance the tool 

First coat the nite before

Looking at it and the others I took out the other day for a size comparison.

The ones I got out the other day. 
 T to B
MF No 1, 5, 2, 1980, 12

I decided that they looked pretty bleak and should be repainted
Starting with the number 2

Not much red survived, what was left was washed out.

Comparison of repaint No 1980 wheel and No 2.
You can see some big bare spots on the frame also.

Of course could not stop there, since I already had the paint and brushes out :-)
No 1 was next.  I long resisted painting it cause it is a rather not found often specimen (had a very short production years 1878-1880)
.
She got water damages in storage and had to de-rusted and cleaned again, frame is pretty bare, and need protection.  I strike a balance on this one.  Frame got repainted black, gear wheel did not, it still has most of its original paint for references.

No 1 as found, frame was pretty bare to start with.

No 5 as found

This No 5 had a good paint surface on the gear wheel so I left it alone
Again as a reference.


I may try touching up the other side to see how close of a color match I have

Of course after watching Ralph work on his MF 85, I got inspired and carried away...slightly.

The number 12 breast drill (the bottom one a previous pic) required green rust paint, which I do not have for the gear wheel.  Later models switched to the familiar red.

All four are now cooking, as Ralph would say :-)


The crime scene as left



All 4 gear wheels.
The No 1 and No 5 (smallest wheels) 
still have their original finishes

Now as the paint dry, I start to scrape a few spots were paint does not belong, while pondering what to do with the handles.  They are in good shape, have been previously cleaned and the wood parts had a coat of my Howard products (refinisher and wax), but I am dying to try that True Oil product.  So that is what I will do.  Interestingly all four sport a different wood specie handle.  From Cocobolo, Rosewood, some tropical hardwood and domestic hardwood stained.

Looking at those 4 hand drills they span from the No 1A (1878-1880), the No 2 (1917-1928), the no 5 (1925-1930),  the No 1980 (1925-1930)  Except for the No 1A which had a short production years, the others dates are the period my specimens dated from, not their production years.

So now as I watch the paint dry with my goofie face on, I been told that congratulation, I now have my first pajama work shirt.  There is a spot of red on it.  I'm sure there are a few black ones too but they don't show on a black shirt.  Oups busted! I thought no point waiting to get change this AM, I'll just be careful ... Famous last words :-)

Its been quite a few hours, I'm long out of my jammies and trying to resist the urge to scrape some paint off :-)

Bob, with a growing work clothes wardrobe.
Apparently I am due to purge my closet :-)

8 comments:

  1. Did you have any problems driving the pins on your drills?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not so far, but mostly to get handles out to soak frame in evaporust. I haven't tried to drive the pin thru the selector yet. Once in a blue moon I'll take the gears out, but rarely found necessary.

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am my wife's nightmare regarding clothes. Each time she brings me something new I only need few days before ruining it with paint, varnish, oil or some kind of dirt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha ha Lionel, glad to hear I am not alone in this dumb habit. Old habits died hard :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you get a chance to fix the gear selector. It would be great to have it working at peak performance.

    ReplyDelete
  6. HI Matt
    Yes, that would be nice, but for now it will do just fine. I have some idea perking in the back to make it easier to drive pins out. Some sort of jig. I went on a quick tour of the shop and gathered two more MF No 5. One is apart and soaking in Evaporust, the other will have to wait until I put back the other ones back together, getting harder to keep track of them all :-)

    Bob, watching paint dry. Should have these 4 back together tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bob,

    You are not alone. While I fall victim to the usual paint and other finishes the real killer is sharpening. I can't help wiping the cutter on my belly when I want to check progress. That works great as long as I'm wearing one of the leather aprons. Not so good with the shirt MsBubba brought home a couple of days ago. I get more than an evil on those days :-).

    ken

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha ha Ken I do similar except I always used my pants legs :-)
    I know that evil eye very well :-)

    Bob, with a growing work clothes collection, now including pajamas :-)

    ReplyDelete