Friday, June 5, 2020

Four done, two soaking

After some more judicious scraping and rubbing using my fine rust eraser, some minimal lubrication using only WD-40 (they will be greased shortly), my first four are purring.

Also recently picked up a Pad saw and a Moore & Wright ratchet screwdriver. 
Since I'm playing in Evaporust may as well...

I must admit they looks a lot better like this, I'm happy.
And likewise my tools are happy, they have been restored to their former glory as working tool once more.

Initial clean up, were I would normally stop at this stage



MF No 1980 ratchet, two speed hand drill


As found

MF No 2

As found


MF No 1
Only frame was repainted to protect it (rust paint)
Gear wheel is still original surface finish

As found, broken handle taped



MF No 5 hand drill.
Mostly original paint on gear wheel.  I repainted one spoke to check on colour match.
See it?  It's the one with no scratches.
Pretty good match  

Here are the other tools I salvaged while I was at it

As found

Cleaned

Pad saw, both screw holding the blade were rusted frozen solid

Some filing on the head to restore the slot

The Moore & Wright ratchet screwdriver.
Work great but tip is severely pitted.  

Will grind a parallel tip to fit a tool


Two more are in various stage of disassembly and parts are soaking in Evaporust.

The one stuck with a broken bit

One had to have its pins driven out (3) it was too long to soak inside bath with a frozen solid chuck with a broken bit.

Had the nose soaking for a while, still unable to move that chuck.  Drove out the pin retaining it and the gear on the chuck shaft.  Took some coaxing to get it out.

Pin is out still not budging.
But I would not want to take it just yet...

Was mindful of thrust bearings when pulling out shaft, always over a container for hopefully catching the surprise parts which have a mind of their own ...
None came out.  Shaft shows sign of a ball bearing indent in the middle.
Tapping the frame brings nothing out but it looks like there is a plate over the balls bearings (as it should).

Using a clamp to immobilize the gear without damages.
after a few more soak of WD-40, managed to wiggle free


 Left in container with the loose parts not soaking

Chuck still frozen solid, went back soaking


With two pins out, still unable to budge the handle on the frame.  Solidly attached.
I would leave it alone except that gear in the back was very stiff.  Unless I can soak it into submission, I will leave it alone for now.  When I last try to budge it, the gear is definitively moving more freely, but still not loosely enough.
Have something in mind to address soaking it with handle still attached.

These last two were more severely rusted, newer acquisitions which had not been thru my routine yet.  The four other were users, only needed to be made more pretty :-)


Left soaking overnite
Yes that Evaporust is getting old :-)
Gungy but work just fine.


The crime scene I left tonite.
One wheel has its first coat, the other still soaking.
Black one in background is a Stanley



Since I have to drive out a bunch of pins, I figured I may as well make a post just on hand drill restoration. What to look for in a good hand drill, assessing condition at first sight etc.

Coming up soon

Meanwhile I keep adding to my work clothes Spring collection, oups! :-)

looks like I got some black rust paint on my pants.
Good news Dear, my pants wont rust :-)



Bob, reeking of WD-40, Evaporust, paint fumes etc

5 comments:

  1. Soaking all but handle - stand it up in a piece of pvc pipe.

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that is my next move. Have gathered a small assortment of PVC pipes of various sizes and length just for that :-)

    I first thought of it to soak my auger drills.
    One thing I have yet to figured out is some sort of container to handle saw plates without wasting too much liquid.
    Any ideas?

    Bob, off to mow the grass

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. in a tray of some sort, fill with sand or kitty litter, cover with plastic bag. add saw plate, push down. voila, customized shallow depression. put in saw plate sitting on a couple wood chips and add evaporust.

      Delete
  3. hum, would not had thought of that been catless for a while :-)
    Must give that a try
    Thank you Mike

    ReplyDelete
  4. looking for parts for a Millers Falls 2-A chuck please post reply if you can help

    ReplyDelete