Thursday, May 23, 2019

Further adventures in resawing

So were I left last nite, I was only a couples inches from both ends.  Considering, my board is roughly 21 X 8 inches I have a way to go and I am starting to drift right.  Need some course correction.

When I face a problem I like to mull it over a good glass of cold beverage by the relaxing 
sound of a fire, which erases previous woodworking masterpieces screwups.
So relaxing :-)


One idea that keep pooping up was why not give that frame resaw a try.  The blade is rusty, a bit dull and the some tooth misshapen, but what the Heh!

Yes it works surprisingly well, but I could sure uses more space around it.

Tried from both sides, still a bit off body position, that cannot be good.

Lets try a different vice in the garage.

My record Auto vice No 74

I went for this one because it is my only bench vice that rotate.  Hoping to get a better angle at my piece of wood.

RECORD AUTO VICE No 74

Before they got into plane making, Record was mostly producing vices. C&J Hampton trading as Record tools, manufactured various patterns of vices.  Mechanics vices, steel vice, cast iron vices, over 91 types / models for various trades: Mechanics, pipe fitters, woodworkers etc
Most Record vices we are familiar today are painted (enamel) blue, but back then they also used red to distinguished the cast steel ones (Red) from the cast iron ones (Blue)

The Auto vice No 74 was a 4 in wide jaw X 4-1/2 in opening, made with special features for car mechanics, hence the name Auto (vice) for No 74 and Garage (vice) for No 75

Auto vice No 74

 There was also a bigger brother the No 75

Auto vice No 75

Brochure extolling special features of vice.

On mine there is a patent number/date 310723/28.  Lets have a look under British patents



The rotating base is activated by loosening the large wing nut,  lift the vise body rotate right or left and drop back into preset casting.

You can see the preset positions in the fixed plate casting.
That one has the optional vise jaws liners (a pair).
Pic from EBay

Back to our resawing in progress...

Vice rotated as far as practical to get a good clearances in front.

Using the saw smaller kerf, I was able to coax the cut line back in.
In use I put my arms on each long sides, easier to balance.

Cut line restored, I'm happy.


This saw cut amazingly well, in spite of itself !!
And I got enough clearances for a full stroke.

Pulled all the way.

Pushed all the way.

You really get to used just about the whole saw plate.

Holding the board vertically is another story.
The board up front push back on the forward stroke.



Flipping the board in the back position of the vise, it pull back on the return stroke if you don't eased up enough on the saw frame.
OK, not ideal, but that was interesting results.  I am going to built some sort of saw bench to handle this type of resaw.  It works amazingly fast and is easy to balance the saw, you quickly get the hang of it.

As this type of frame resaws goes, mine is a bit on the smallish sizes.


The frame is about 37-1/2 in high.

The blade is about 29-1/2 in long.

Considering my board is 21 in long and my saw blade 29-1/2 in long, I cannot give a long enough push or pull to clear all the saw dust between the teeth.

The bade is shining up from its work out.
Looks at the saw dust hanging between some teeth, 
they never exit the wood to expel.

Its smaller kerf and 5 TPI makes it quite fast, faster than my former speed demon, Disston No D8.
BTW, I answered Ralph in a previous comment that the D8 was 5 TPI, its not, see pics.

Disston D8 3 TPI / 4 PPI
Notice some tooth are starting to get misshapen, Mea Culpea.
I tend to quickly touch up my teeth between full sharpening session were the teeth will be restored.
Its a lazy habit to just sharpen the tip, but it work for me.  I pay the piper later.

The frame resaw blade 1 in wide 5 TPI.  
Notice the changing tooth shapes, someone is lazier than me :-)
Upon close inspection, the blade is in better shape than expected
and it works, bonus !

So after all that, my kerfs are brought back in line and I am down about 3 some inches on both sides
21 - (3+3) = 15 inches to go... a subdue yeah!!!

I can see power tools in a near future to the rescue, I'm a bit constrained by time.

A fun experience nonetheless and surprising results.

Bob, overdue for a nap

4 comments:

  1. Bob I like your optimism very much, you already prepared the "For Sale" sign for your tablesaw! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha Ha, nope! You will have to pry my Unisaw from my dead cold fingers :-)
    But jokes asides the bandsaw would be the last power tools I woulds part with.

    Bob, who still needs to bring in 220V to the garage, sigh

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bob,

    It does me good to see a shop more crowded than mine :-) and get a tutorial on Record vises at the same time.

    Good to see you back among the living,

    ken

    ReplyDelete