Sunday, December 16, 2018

Progress on a few fronts

The last couple days been helping a friend with his Christmas project for his wife.
Can't tell you what it is, it's a surprise :-)

Yesterday, end up at the wood shop from 10AM until 4PM, a long day, so I brought along a few tools rehab projects.

First up was my BBM crank handles refinishing
Long overdue, but very low on my priority list.  But its a quick job and it is taking room in the shop.
So out it came with me

Long overdue, it really makes a big difference
using a walnut stain, blending in the blemish and repairs

The next day, I gave it a coat of  feed N wax

I really like the final look

An old Smith of St-Catherine On. back saw got a quick clean up
A light scraping, sanding of the plate, followed by a wipe of WD40
The handle got a scraping, need a light sanding before being re-finished.
There is a very faint etch I want to preserve

The hardware as removed, before its bath at home

Last time I used it, I noticed a bit of rust was forming on both faces
 of my world famous Je Ne Sais Quoi Persuader, all the way from Namibia.
Gave it a light sanding to clean up the faces

What took me the longest was to shape my handle to fit inside 
the eye of my Campbell Hewing or Ship axe

As you can see it was still a tight fit


Before wedging
I am happy the way it came out
Now if I can just find my wedge kits ???

I have been working for a while on a Bailey Tool Co smoother
Body and parts have been de-gunked, de-rusted, started
 to address the sole and the blade
And yes that blade is pretty well used up


Also brought out a chisel to touch up along with a few other tools for my friend to use on his project

That was the scene Dec 10 in my yard.
In the last two days, it is pretty well all gone, but another storm is coming to replenished it.
That storm should be over Ralph as I type this

Accordingly, I better pick up my small logs to split before they get covered again.   
Forecasted up to 10 Cm of white crappola (Ralph's Tm)

And next thing you know, it was time for a visit to the WComd at home event as the Vice President of my Rotary club, so signing off

Bob, making progress on a few small fronts 

8 comments:

  1. Bob,

    What's that white stuff, did you put too much soap in the washing machine? BTW, I think our high today was forecast to be 71*F. I'm not sure if it made it as I spent the morning replacing the disposal and rest of the day in the shop. All I can say is I'm damn glad I didn't grow up to be a plumber.

    Rehabbing tools is a good project for woodshop duty. Looks like you did some good.

    ken

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha Ken, that white stuff is for Santa, after the holidays it can all go away and I wont missed it! :-)


    I find tool rehabbing projects in the shop a good fit since I'm often interrupted to answers questions or give a hand with whatever.

    Bob, idea of multitaskings

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Andy
    Oh, yeah, I keep busy. So many things to do, so little time in retirement :-)

    Bob, who still wonder where did I found the time to work before I retired :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. No snow down here Bob. One dusting a few weeks back and nothing since.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha, im surprised it missed you on its way overhere. It is currently stalled and rotating CCW and his coming around...again, yeah for white crappola :-)

    Bob, were its beginning to look like a white Christmas..
    But wait for it, still time to change before then...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Robert, You do have a huge collection.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nah Alvin, not a huge collection, a big selection :-)

    Bob, delusional :-)

    ReplyDelete