Friday, November 2, 2018

Rainy day progress

We have been going thru our combined Christmas decorations, and figured out that we are overdue for a big clean up.  So she gathered a bunch of stuff to donate to the school.
Inspired she went to her mother to do similar :-)

While she was gone, Rudy and I stayed behind to catch up on some work AKA Honey Do List

I was hoping that the rain will stop long enough for my lumber in the truck to dry a bit before coming inside, but it does not look its going to stop soon. Another whammy system for this weekend, so...

Well at least my wood has been washed...
Look at that figure showing up. Ohhhhh. 

First was to make some room in the garage to stack my wood somewhere on the floor.
Thankfully we have company at home (the other set of grand parents to the Grand peanuts)
With Steve help, it was quick work..


Start to piled it on a wood palette

Took longer to find spacers of uniform thickness than to piled it...

That wood was cut end of June 2018
and sliced cut end of Oct 2018. (4 months)
It is surely still wet :-)

Had to do a quick check

Sure enough they all read practically full scale 24+ %

With that done before it started to get too dark, it was time to troubleshoot why I lost power to the garage.  I suspected Squirrels actions?? There is only one power feed to the garage, I simply turn off the circuit breaker as a precaution, about 2 months ago.
Yes, it was getting annoying, so since I had some time....and daylight... Does not happened often!!

Trace the whole wiring, most of it is exposed on the studs and rafters. Everything looks OK.
Figured out were circuit enter garage and followed it, to a GFCI outlet.....Hummm
everything else seems to feed from it, both outlets inside and the two outside and the garage door openers.

You know those stupid GFCIs outlets that you are supposed to exercise monthly... Raise your hand if you have been doing it diligently always... Yah, I did not think it was many.

Well, since I could not found anything damaged or amiss, I flipped the Circuit Breaker back on and play with that stupid GFCI, heard a click and the lights came back on.
You gotta be kidding me, right!?

Yah, some DIY thought that he should protect the outside plugs and the power inside the garage by hooking up everything of the load side. Trip it, everything goes out in garage, brilliant!! ?$?#%?

I can see a new regular plug in my near future, and bring in another circuit, to separate the lights.
Oh and long overdue for bringing in 220V.
Oh and she want the laundry room moved upstairs, against the garage wall inside the house.
Perfect, two birds with one stone :-)

But for now, ill just kick my ass and enjoy a cold one under the artificial lights cause I have been in the dark long enough....

Let there be lights!!


And now that I can see, I could use some more organizing in there :-)

The garage doors now open and close, and the tractor is hooked up to its smart battery tender, hopefully it would bring back the battery from the dead.
If not, Ill need a new one. After 7 years, I'm probably due...

If you see my lights on in the garage overnite it is because I'm testing them :-)

Bob, who is both relieved and mad at himself.

After reviewing the security tapes, I think I saw a squirrel, giving me the finger and he then pushed the button. Yeah, that's it, my story, sticking to it

Now if only I remembered to changed my pants before starting all these...oups!
Better wash them before she comes back :-)

4 comments:

  1. Bob,

    I hate pulling wire. Dog speed.

    GFCI are a PITA, I know there is a reason for 'em but If I have a electrical problem that is where I start.

    I'm glad to see a shop that looks more cluttered than mine :-).

    ken

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, those stupid GFCIs can be a pain... My bathrooms outlets are protected by a GFCI breaker, a lot more dependable than those stupid outlets. The only GFCI outlet I have in the garage (not needed) has the whole garage and outside plugs running off the load side of the GFCI grrrr. Its coming off soon.


    Meanwhile I would not laugh too hard Ken, now that I can see what I am doing, im going to make this garage ship shape :-)


    Bob, who saw the light, finally!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bob are you sure you really want lights to actual see what it looks like? Good thing you're retired because that mess would never fly if you were AD still.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, yes, its good to see the Light again :-)
    Not to worry Ralph, this garage will get into ship shape soon again and be ready for inspection, Sir!

    Bob, who misses his working bees :-)

    ReplyDelete