Monday, September 6, 2021

The start of greenhouse No 2

My work on the window has been stalled for a while.  It rain and rain and another TS remnants pass by and it rain and... Rinse and repeat.

That is why I had the time to document that little skew rabbet plane.

 In the mean time, I also started erecting, temporarily, her second greenhouse frame.

In this box, future greenhouse.

Said green house will be erected besides the existing one, but later.

It would reside on the left of the existing one.
Where there is currently a small flower bed.
Older pic, that garden plot has grown a bit since :-)

Why, because it would requires moving a small garden, cutting down a cluster of small trees and levelling a spot.  Not happening this year.  But we need the temporary shelter now.

The plan for this year is to used it for storage in order to empty the current shed and demolished it. 

That shed has long expired its Best Before Due date, not spending anymore money into this eye sore  sink hole.

In this early May pic you can see the shed in the back 
It started life as a small baby barn, then someone, years ago, expanded it on the side to make a bigger shed.
Dumb idea unless you are prepared to totally reframe one side to attach or you end up with lots of wasted space for the size increase.
Where the ladder sit is basically the intended spot for greenhouse No 2

Demolish and replace.  But where to put the stuff in between sheds? 

Canadian Tire had a sale on those 10X20 temporary shelter, bought one with the intend of using the steel frame as a greenhouse.  Will see how the current one survived winter and learned from it.

Meanwhile, Jean left for a meeting and I was left alone with the dogs, so...

Don't know what I would do without my tractor and trailer.
Save my back numerous times.
 Being tilting, I often used that feature to load and unload heavy items by myself.

The box says 3 persons to put it up in about 3 hours.
That is how far I got by myself in 3 hours.

Why this location so close to the vegetable garden and the pine tree?
Because it is the only suitable location to erect it on a flattish spot

I was a good boy and read the instructions first.  That was easy, mostly pictures and no words.  Universal language what? :-)
I spread out everything first to inventory and piled up my parts by part Numbers.
Would had been faster if the two slightly different length screws were separated.  
54 plus 30 of the other make a big pile to sort.
Did not wanted to play with all those screws over the grass, so used my driveway to assemble my frames by the garage then dragged then out to the nearest tree where they went.

I used the tree on the left to hold up my end piece to fasten the other to it.
That worked great, so I put on another and then realized hum.  How am I going to drag it between the tree and the vine wall, it's a tight fit??  And sure enough, I had to turned the partial assembly to fit in between.  Good thing I stop my assembly when I did, 3 frame just fit. :-)

Before It even went in, I had to trim some branches on the big pine tree beside it.
I had previously staked the 10X20 area it would be using, so I knew which branches to cut first. 

See, I was a good boy.
This is where I was stopped when Jean came back.
It was just me and the dogs up to now.
Does that count as the three peoples required? :-)

Together we finished squaring the frame and secured it down.
Then we installed both end panels.


By then it was supper time, we stopped and left the main tarp for tomorrow.

Oh look, it rained, surprise!

Yes it is close to the vegetable garden and the pine tree.
Only practical suitable flat spot available.

We will then finished it and start moving out the stuff from the existing shed.

On its last leg, roof on addition is leaking.
Notice one end is on stills the other on the ground.
The Rubbermaid vertical storage shed is full with plant pots.
And many more elsewhere :-)

Once shed is demolished, will see how much of its existing platform we can recycle if any.

It is sitting on an elevated platform on the Baby barn side, instead of making a flat spot first.

Make for a steep ramp to bring stuff in and out.  Another minus point point in its column .

If nothing else, we will have a better idea of the future shed footprint.  

Do we cut down more small trees to shift it to the right and make it flat on the ground, or a different location altogether?

Whatever we do, there is a  power line feed to the shed (Front left hand corner).  Currently feeding the greenhouse and pool filter.  Yes, GFCI protected.  I do not want to remove that electrical service so will need something over it.

To build or to buy?? Will see.

Storage priorities outside right now are:  Her gardening tools, the tractor and its various implements, a pot shed.  Yes she has quite a few plant pots of various sizes.  When I asked her if she needs all of these, she asked me if I needed all the tools I have.  Hum, I guess, YES, she needs them all :-)

In the end there shall be: 2 greenhouses, A SHE shed (doubling as a potting room), a garden tools shed and tool stations, storage with a wide door for the tractor and its implements.

And then there shall be light on the garage floor :-)

Meanwhile, my small pile of tools and supply to finished my window is standing by, waiting for a sunny day....


 

Bob, sharpening his pencil for the various sheds ideas.


2 comments:

  1. You could buy and improve it. That might be the best and cost effective way if you can find something you like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can recycle that frame i bought on sale for $300, with wooden ends and proper greenhouse plastic, fans, doors etc for a total around $500. Hard to beat and lot more solid than the hobby greenhouses up to about $1k plus, In Canadian Pesos 😁

    Bob the builder

    ReplyDelete