Saturday, August 28, 2021

Little distraction today

 You know you been in a heat wave for a while, when you go to the store and think, man its cold, its 18C, I turned off the AC in the car, then turned it up later when it went up to 19C on  my way back.

Today being Saturday, I checked out my usual yard sales vendors for tools.  Picking is getting slim at times (Mea Culpea :-) but I did managed to found some stuff at reasonable prices.  It seems lately, if its a tool and rusty, its worth money, the rustier, more money. 

Today's find.
A small shingling hatchet, a skew rabbet plane, a dual beam marking gauge 
and a Centurion tank missing its main gun :-)


The hatchet
Did not saw any markings on it, yet, still need to be separated of its haft and soak in Evaporust.

The classic, nail puller notch

The classic octagonal peen.

The edge is in surprisingly good shape

Nothing special about the handle (haft), I will replaced it

An idea of its size besides my two single bevel axes.
Bucket of shavings from making my sill plates.

The rabbet plane.

Being a skew rabbet, it is a more practical worker, read, more valuable.-

Did not look too far gone, but the blade and wedge were solidly rusted together.  Took a lot of jarring and soaking in WD 40 before she finally let go.

I paid $6 for that plane, got my money worth

But it sure looks like it is about time that poor plane get rescued

Remember the blade is bevel down.
That is the surface that rest on the frog.
Yap, will need some work :-)

The back is in good shape, edge is still amazingly sharp.
Currently soaking in Evaporust

 

The Marking gauge

It is a dual beam wooden gauge, featuring two removable brass plate to changed the scribers, two brass plated steel screw to lock the head, two cast brass shoes, with little damages.  No discernable markings yet, looks like a copy of Stanley.  Well worth the full asking price of $15

Has brass plates where the wear will happen

The two beams show no wear

Cast brass shoes, showing very little damages 
from over torqueing the steel locking screws

The side bearing on the wood.
The shiny spots are the pressure points from the locking screws.  
Again very little damages, not much use.

It got its first uses today, I used it to mark my piece to be splitted.
One whack of the mallet and it split beautifully by my mark.
A few swipes of the block plane and TaDa


Working on my plywood piece on the garage floor

Surface left after the split.



A Lesney model, would later be Matchbox
A whimsical buy at $1 
I will give him a new main gun down the road

That was the tank we used when I joined, later replaced by Leopard.
I could honestly say: When I joined Centurion was a tank, not a rank :-)

Its main armaments is MIA 

Lost both tracks in action.
Good luck finding replacements???


But it was not all play and no work, made more progress

Made the mating piece section for the sill plate and a shim for under.

Tomorrow I should be able to install my first sill plate

3 cuts on the table saw to cut the groove.  
It is not a dado, it is running along the grain
Then one last cut to separate my piece to proper width.  It was safer to keep my work piece wider to cut the groove.

Now to tweak my groove walls to fit sill

A few swipes of the block planes later, we have a fit
 
My finished pieces for the day

good fit for now.  
Will tweak later for a seamless fit

My outdoor work bench before the sun
 comes around in the afternoon

Meanwhile, the small stool frame got glued back and pined.

Legs have their blocks fitted.
Those would be glued and screwed to corners

And a few more small projects whose turns are coming up.

Bob, back with the AC on inside the house, starting to sweat :-)


6 comments:

  1. Bob,

    You need to borrow one of my portable benches, makes working outside a lot easier. Much better than a glass table :-). BTW, next year I will not leave home without one.

    ken

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha Ken, just drop one off on your way back :-) I plan to set up a small shop outside, under a tent cover. But that project is currently in Vol 3 To Do list. Part of my plan include using more my sawbench/mortising bench/drilling bench etc. It is very versatile and quite compact.

    Bob, taking refuge from the sun

    ReplyDelete
  3. A good point for a glass top bench is that you never have to worry about its flatness 😎😁

    ReplyDelete
  4. A glass-top workbench.
    To learn to work with sensitivity as Paul Sellers always recommend.

    I used my Paul Sellers workbench to make a Moravian workbench for the son. It was less challenging than I first thought. The son is really happy to be able to work on a solid/stable base.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sylvain.
    Yes you can easily work on a glass top bench. Layout, planing, some chisel works, drilling (over the hole for the umbrella) etc. Never had any issues.
    But I must say that Im well used to improvised repairs in the field. You do what you gotta do 😎

    Bob

    ReplyDelete