Thursday, June 17, 2021

Disclaimer about my blog

 I have no idea why, but this year my Blog readership really exploded.  And with increased readership comes closer scrutiny and being taken to tasks.  I understand and am more than happy to gives credit where credit is due, but this is first and foremost my own personal blog.

It is not a monetized or commercial for profit Blog, it is MY blog and it shall remains so.


It used to take some times to reach about 300 views on some 
of my most popular Blogs entry, now they quickly reach 1000.
Guessing there could be some spamming involved, but I know it's being read
Well some of it anyway :-) 


Having said that, understand also that lots of images and lot of texts were captured (downloaded or scanned etc) on line many years ago for my own personal uses.  My interest was for preserving pictures and history of artifacts I found On line to help me identify and learn about these tools.  Since then, I have amassed many more tools and lots of pics are mine, unless otherwise mentioned (credit given to)

Problem is I did not always captured the source back then,  a large quantity of them came from Ebay a while ago, and then some of the same pictures have appeared in various places, I have no idea who's originator it was or could be.

All that to say, if you come across something you know to be yours, please let me know, like some of you have done, and I will be happy to either remove it or give you credit where credit is due.






Ideally all the pics on my blogs entry would be mine, but it is not always possible to illustrate something. 

Despite my best efforts I have not put my hands on every tools there is out there... Honest :-)

Again, not for commercial gain, strictly my very own personal blog where I feel free to talk about anything I want to share but also as a way for me to remember before I forget everything.

I thank you for your readership, I hope you enjoy what you read in my best Franglish (mixture of French and English) which is then translated around the world by Google translate.  It must make for strange translation at times I'm sure :-)

I will return to woodworking project hopefully soon.  Have lots of conflicting priorities stuff to do in the mean time.

Meanwhile Go Habs Go (Montreal Canadien NHL team)


Bob, where there is never a dull moment in Casa Demers :-)

4 comments:

  1. Congrats on the growing blog. Mine is similar to yours in that it is for my personal documentation. I'd like to think my grandchildren, and great grandchildren might get a kick out of after I am gone to see the pieces being made that they inherited.

    Also, I have no financial gain either. If I have no ads generating revenue and I buy all my own tools and wood, I feel as if what I say can be construed as to be my own personal opinion. I don't fault those that have sponsorships. For some, woodworking is a business. I am happy when information is shared without a cost to me other than an ad or product placement.

    The pictures I have used to date have all been my own (or taken by my wife or kid). There have been a few times I had been tempted to take a screen snapshot from say Fine Woodworking to illustrate the piece I have been making. I don't know what the legal ramifications are for this so I have simply avoided doing so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Joe
    Here is how I look at it. If this was a commercial venture, it would be a big no no without their express permission. Being a "personal" site documenting my experiences and writing down stuff I want to remember (think historical posts) as long as I quote the source when not mine, I don't see a problem in as much that if anyone object or notify me of the source, I'll either gladly removed it or add/correct the source.
    Problem im running into is that in many cases the text source or pictures I collected years ago for my tool files have unknown source / author. Perfect example is my 2 parts illustrated Types study of Stanley ( by far the most popular). I first build it up in the late 90s early 2000s and updated when I rebuild from my old files.
    I credited the originators of the types studies I used; Sellers/Walter and al, some pics are mine others are mostly found on Ebay or tool sellers site. When known they are given credit and often have links to original web source.
    Not trying to ripoff or plagiate anyone, just using what I find to illustrate something. As I acquire more tools and have an example I did not have before, I would often go back and replace pics with my own. Ideally, they would all be mine.

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bob,
      I think what you are doing makes complete sense to me.
      Sincerely,
      Joe

      Delete
  3. congrats bob. I haven't had anyone bust my chops about unauthorized pics -yet.

    ReplyDelete