Monday, August 27, 2018

The boring bits till, hand tool edition

Now that my Boring till is finally on the wall (Heh, it only took me a year), I have been thinking about how best to store and yes, display my boring bits...

The boring till, on the right of the window.
I have yet to decided on what is going up behind bench in front of it...

I fully envisaged that the power bits storage would be different than the brace bits storage, but how, I did not know yet.

This Week End in our travels, we passed conveniently by the large Wilmot flea market, and I spied this little rack, for one buck (Cdn $1, a Loonie)…

It is a home made collector's spoons rack

When I saw it, I thought, hum, wonder if it would fit my bits??
So you know I had to drag some into the kitchen to try it, don'tchuno (pronounced a la Ken :-)

Some of the smaller spoons and gimlet bits, will somewhat fit. 
Definitively would need larger holes

Laid down to see how much height I have.
About two (2) rows for the larger one would do.
But I like how the longer ones on top are resting in two (2) rows, 
better secured, less rattling's around 


About 1-1/2 inch spacings

Wide enough for my big paws, with wide bits

 But how many can I lay out...

12, not quite the full set of 13 bits, in any kind of bit set(s).

In the brace bits world, a full set of bits was 1/4 inch to 1 inch by 1/16 th inch increments for a total of 13 bits, numbered by the number of 16ths (EG No 4, 4/16 is a 1/4 inch bit, No 13, 13/16 is 1/16 smaller than 7/8 and etc)

So in this cabinet size, I can layout two rows of 12 bits each, for a total of 24. Not bad, but I will extend it to do a full 13 bit set(s). Height wise, it is a bit wasteful for only two rows.
I will keep the middle row to help support (cradle) the bits. And I think we have a winner!

Some quick measurements, and we are off to the races.

19 inches wide, outside dimension.
Will need to add two inches to the inside holder to hold 13 bits

By 22-3/4 inches high.
Will cut that back down a bit (pun intended), maybe one inch?

The outside sides are 1-1/4 inches wide

The inside depth is 1 inch, sufficient for all bits

This is the current holder shape, for holding collector's spoons by the neck
Will uses round holes and open straight slot up front, like on boring till

The back thin ply is made of wafer boards??
Everything is glued and pinned by a small brad.
Bit of flex on the holders, mine would be stiffer

So, there we go, this would be my Boring Bit Till, hand tools edition.
And the scalloped sides? Well, it does help to reach in the outside bits, I will keep that detail, unless it becomes a cover for a deeper box???
And those favorite's bit of mine, the center bits, they can get quite large, quickly. Their spacing wont be evenly spaced  Will need tinkering on some scraps

Coming up soon, same Bat channel

Bob, jumping around projects, easily distracted... Squirrels!!
Meanwhile, back to the moulding planes...

1 comment:

  1. Hi Bob


    At the last DCBE you commented about flying in for the next one. If you are still interested, you are more than welcome.
    It will be held in week 39 from the 24th of September and ending Saturday.
    You can email me at:
    bloksav insert-the-funny-sign-here gmail.com

    Brgds
    Jonas

    ReplyDelete