Thursday, September 3, 2015

Almost done

This morning I installed my flashing on my corner eave.


Once all the roofing cement, caulk etc is dry, I will prime and paint my new piece of wood. As it is pressure treated and I coated it liberally with paintable end cut preservative, it is now weather proof, even before I paint it.
That corner is now also bird proof and I expect no more leaks from that spot.

Then I had to cut back the vegetation on the side of the house to move my ladder in order to attack the power mast problems.

The morning sun to the right is washing out the pics

That would do.

Looking a that picture I think the problem was that they did not oriented the slope top part correctly and the rubber boot shrunk up a bit, leaving a gaping hole.

 That picture also appear to show one nail on top of the flange buried under the shingles. So I thought I could get lucky take out that nail, and turn that flashing flange around.
Turned out, there are no nail showing and the thing is solidly attached to the roof...

Plan B. See if I can slip down the rubber gasket.
Yes I can, pheww...

So I put some of my roofing caulk all around under the seam then put two nails to secured it down. I then smooth out the oozing caulk all around making sure I have a good coverage. Both on the roof flange and on my fingers (I run out of rubber gloves :-)


Not sure I want to trust that the rubber gasket will stay put, so I also ran a bead of roofing caulk on top of it in an effort to seal it down. Will keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't uncover a big opening again (see first pic of flange).
If it move again, I'll wrap it with some sort of rubber membrane.

Meanwhile, back on the garage window, I put on a coat of epoxy on the now solidified (was crumbling) wall fiber board corner. That should prevent further deterioration.

I put in a wax paper separator between the wall and the window frame.
I don't want to glue the frame to the wall. That window will be replaced later.


I am now out of epoxy glue, will need some more for the last piece of wood on my window frame trim (the brick mold). I'm also thinking of making a better fitting piece, it is after all the show piece :-)

Managed to get all clean up without making too much of a mess in the bathroom downstairs :-) That gritty orange soap stuff is great to tackle oily tar etc, hopefully by the time she gets up, all trace of my mess would be erased...

Bob, on a quiet cleaning spree.
What was that Honey? No, I did not make any mess :-)

2 comments:

  1. Having plantings that close to fiberboard siding isn't a good thing. The plantings trap the moisture between them and the siding. And we know what fiberboard looks like when it gets wet.
    It looks like the roof will survive the winter snow pile up. The joys of home ownership.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Correct, the last time they got trimmed back was 2 years ago.
    Besides the rotten window sill that I replaced 2 years ago, haven't seen any other damages on the side wall, but I try to keep it clear. When we came back from Boston, earlier, for the first time we saw that bush in bloom, it was very nice looking, white flowers everywhere, so I guess it is surviving my occasional trimmings. Last few years, we were away at blooming time, so we never got to see it.

    ReplyDelete