Monday, March 7, 2022

Garage storage area part 3

Sunday spent a good three hours at the wood shop on Base.  Brought my 8 vertical pieces 72 inches long and 12 horizontal pieces 31 inches long to cut the joinery to assemble 4 frames for my storage grid.

Getting ready

I used the Radial Arm Saw with its regular blade to cut all my dadoes and half laps, all 3-1/2 in long  x 3/4 in deep.  That was 24 half laps and 24 dadoes all nibbled one by one plus 12 more dadoes on the side.  Very repetitive work hence you have to remain vigilant to be safe.  Took a few breaks.  To avoid measuring errors, I only took measurements on the first piece to set up a length stop on the table. Ran all the pieces before setting up for next cut, rinse and repeat until all done.  

I screw in a stop block on the work table, then once 
all my pieces have been cut, I moved it to next position.

When putting stuff away and cleaning up the shop, managed to drop something on my right thumb. Black bluish spot under nail and throbbing.

Yesterday, today the black spot is much bigger


It`s amazing how many ways your right thumb comes into play in everything you do, humm.

So that is where I stopped last night after bringing my pieces homes.


24 half laps and 36 dadoes, all 3-1/2 inches long.
why I choose to do it with a tailed assistant.

Why the RAS ?  Because it is easier to leave the wood steady and move the tool overhead and seeing  where you are cutting.  Mind you it would had been easier / faster with a dado head mounted in the RAS.  What I used to do at home when I had one.  With a regular saw blade it is just more cuts, a lot more cuts :-)

Next is cleaning joinery and assemble 4 frames for the grid.

Must decide soon on covering on platform surface under the grid.  Was thinking recycling decking boards but they are under snow.  Brought a few pieces inside garage will see if usable if not, plan D.


Bob, left with a throbbing thumb.  Pass me the Scotch Brother :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment