Sunday, March 6, 2022

Garage storage area part 2

 That would be the platform and the storage grid 9X9 on top with a set of stairs to the house, which is in progress.

When I left off, I had my two beams with all their joist brackets assembled.  

I am working alone inside a cramped space, accordingly due to the size of the deck assembly and weight considerations, my first plan was to screw the ledger to the wall line up the front one on its posts level with the ledger then drop in the joist one by one.  That plan quickly evaporated due to the complexity of holding up the beam level on its own and then bang away 3 inch nails into it, 4 toe nailed at each joist ends... just not happening. 

Tried my Stud scanner to pinpoint the studs in the inside garage wall.  Being technically an outside wall from the house, it is covered with 3/4 inches thick lumber. under the 1/4 inch gyprock.  Then It don on me that where I am looking at, there is plenty of wood meat all around, I`m screwing into the rim joist of the house, perfect.  Lets get screwing...

Carefully shimmed to level my ledger ready to be screwed 

But wait, how am I going to be able to nail in the two outside joist on the platform once frame is screwed to the wall? No way, so have to nail them in first.  Quickly realized that the way these special end brackets are fastened, my carefully cut pieces at 37 inches are now too long.  I cannot pound into flatness the fasteners (4) inside the brackets, so they stick out a bit pushing my frame out of square.  All the remaining joists sit perfectly flat butted to the beams, there is nothing inside to pushed them out.  Glad I catched it now, Phew..

All that to say, I assembled the whole frame on the ground, then figured out how to put it up level to screwed it to the wall.

I had slipped in a joist next to the end one to ensure I stay square when fastening ends ones.
That's when I spotted the trouble with the end length.  Both end pieces got a small trim.

Next plan stopped in its tracks quickly due to having been given the wrong size driver bit for my ledger screws. Sigh  One more trip to the store...

These special Ledger screws replace and are stronger 
than the traditional Lag bolts

It was nice of them to give me the special bit with my purchases...
NO fit, no way.
Need next size down 

Much better.
An imitation Robertson (tapered fit) 
and self supporting fasteners.   


While at the store also picked up different brackets to secure beam on top of posts.
My first plan was to sit them inside the frame, blocked them with pieces of 2X6 around and screw them to the beam.  That`s how it was done, years ago, but now code says beam must rest on top of post for maximum support.  So I thought, I will notched the post to have the beam sat on it, then screw.
But surprise, they make special brackets just for that purpose.  Part of the Simpson Strong-Tie, code compliant hardware for framing.  Simple, strong and so much easier to remain code compliant.

It`s a thick metal plate, bend to capture the beam and the post
 on opposite sides.

Brilliant.

After abandoning the idea of notching each posts to fit exactly 
(they are all slightly different height)
came up with this idea of using a T plate.
The special bracket for that purpose is much better 

Back on track, now to figured out how to lift and level in place my whole frame assembly by myself in my cramped space...hummm.

Remember I had drop my line by 1-1/2 inch, my frame top is now sitting at 28-1/2 inch hi.  Frame is 5-1/2 in thick (2x6 lumber), so need to support at 23 inch up.  Kitchen chairs are 18-19 inches high, so that is what I used with a piece of 4X4 (3-1/2 in ) on top, then shimmed 

Stand in the middle of frame lift outside edge to slip a chair under.
Slip under the metal work platform, frame is now balanced-ish.
Walk gingerly to the other end, slip in two more chairs, shim and voila.

Ensuring the ledger board is level, it is screwed down first

Next is the corner ledger which stand a bit proud of wall.
Slipped in 1/4 inch thick plywood as shims to screw it tight 
making sure frame remain square.  Wall corner was not 90, but close

Then one by one, cut the posts to sit flush under beam
 minus thickness of metal plate.  
So much easier to level the posts this way.

Once platform was all secured, 12 ledger screws and 3 4X4 posts
Throw on top my scrap pieces of plywood and put the big containers under (6), 
I have regained spaces

Each joist 16 in OC, inside their hangers are toe nailed by a 10d 3 in nail, 4 on each ends. 
Not going to move easily, nor come apart.  Should mention that you have to used the right 
material finish for the fasteners compatible with the hardware.  In my case Galvanized nails.
Otherwise you set up rust (dissimilar metals) and have a code violation.

A few more details to come. 
Bracing for posts and support under ledgers.
Overkill?  You bet :-)

Now to figured out my stairs location and guard posts.
Piece of 2X4 on platform is where the 31 inches deep grid ends.

Now I'm starting to understand why there was no platform at top of stairs by the door...

From my platform looking toward the garage doors.
When door is fully open, the garage door slab will hit you in the head, or lower.
I am a 6 footer, two of my sons are 6 foot 2 and 6 foot 3 respectively.
That is a NOGO.  
Or put up a a sign: Do not use stairs when garage door is open ? :-)

Facing out from house door to garage, you ran into the garage door opener.

I have some ideas but it will have to wait a bit, will need more room around platform yet, in order to get a sense of the spaces and clearances.  Next on my agenda is to take my grid pieces to the wood shop and do a bunch of dado joinery on them.  Once the grid goes up, it will clear more needed floor spaces.

May have to move the Unisaw, but I rather not, will see...

Bob, sore all over but happy with progress so far


  

No comments:

Post a Comment