Wednesday, May 5, 2021

Today is the day

 That we both got vaccinated against big bad boy Covid.

Care to guess which book I brought with me :-)
Yes, a lot thicker than the Second Edition I had, this is the 4th, 2020 edition.

In our age group 55-64 we got Astra Zeneca, 65 and up you get Pfizer or Moderna.

Missed it by a few months, so close :-)

Oh well, I am not worry, I'm Happy


On the home front took it easy today, you know : No heavy lifting, building, gardening and washing floors etc. Nurse's order Dear, I'm sorry :-)

Wonder how long I can milk it?? :-)

Joke asides, I read some of my new book and picked up two parcels today.  I had previously order a plane stop for my bench, then within 20 minutes or so, realized, I need two, only bought one, so back online order another and...

Ohhh hahhhh...

Ah shit...

I goofed, my mistake.  When ordering it default to 20 Mm (European MFT) but you can select 19 mm (NA 3/4 inch).   Damn you METRIC!!!

19 mm, fit a bit sloppy, but fit good


20 mm, no way hoser :-(

Left 20 mm, Right 19 mm

Now here is the irony, I since realized that this is a direct copy of the Veritas one   That will teach me.

Only visible differences are, beside the names, is the colour of the metal post.  Polished metal Hongdui and black oxide Veritas.

Pic from Banggood site

Pic from Lee Valley site
Hum, I wonder who copy who??
Funny thing is I also saw same product, same picture, different name on line

So I guess even at half price, it is still going to cost me the same to fix my goof.
Blatant copy.  You will also see copies of Lie Nelsen and Woodpecker (red line) tools, some changed a bit, some look pretty close to original including the colour red.  Good quality nonetheless.
 
So what to do with my 20mm one?  Maybe I'll dabble with that MFT board concept and see how much more money I can waste...or maybe not.

That one (1) Millimeter differences makes a big difference, and I am not about to resize my holes to 20mm on my benches.  My holdfast and LV bench dogs accessories would not work anymore.
My bad, I'll slap myself and call it quit.

Meanwhile
Of course I shower and changes before going to my vaccine appointment, so maybe, just maybe I should not had venture close to my post drill afterward, cause, it's you know, dirty...
Funny thing is when wearing black dress pants you don't notice :-)
So before I got too much into it, I remembered to change pants and glasses, before getting into scraping and brushing etc. 

Especially after she had me moved an exercise machine (heavy) from our gym to the rear basement door for pickup.  Which pickup has changed to tomorrow.
Dust bunnies and lint does shows up on dark dress pants however :-)
Good thing we moved it now babe, cause I can feel my arm getting stiff (wink, wink) so I probably wont be able to do any heavy lifting tomorrow Dear.

What about my post drill?  Oh, that is not tiring much, I just pick at it :-)

That is about as much as I can get that wheel to budge.  Need a gear puller.
But I'm worry if would I be able to press it back on I if I removed it??
Darn tight fit.  And yes there is a locking bolt, removed and soaking


I will really like to pull off the flywheel, it would shed more weight and give me clear access to the three (3) bolts to crack the two casting bolted together apart.  Would be easier to clean and paint also.

Now that I scraped, cleaned pretty well everywhere, some of the damages can be uncovered.

The return mechanism gear is heavily damaged.
It is activated at the end of the drilling operation by flipping a lever which engage that gear  
and has you continue cranking in same direction it rotate backward the down feed mechanism.
Main gears are not damaged, only that gear.


The cam follower on the advance mechanism was stuck and has a flat spot.
Now cleaned and rotate freely.


The brass nut that limit the down travel shows signs of heavy wear.
If you don't disengage the auto feed pawl when done, the mechanism will continue 
to apply pressure as the flywheel still spin

I found that screw to be loose, not quite sure what it does, but there is some play
 in the downward and upward travel of the drill quill.  Can be taken up by the brass nut and that screw??
The screw end goes right thru and is held captive by a groove at the bottom



There is evidence of some welding repair or a bad casting spot on one of the the table slots.
I do not see any signs of damages, other than the bump it causes.


The foot fixture, tube and table bracket all need a good scrubbing.
Did I mentioned how heavy that thing is??


And finally my vantage view tonite.  It is raining outside, 

Sipping a cold one, pondering my next move.
Wear gloves next time idiot!! :-)


Bob, waxing poetical shit on my Post drill :-)

Honey, I don't think my arm is going to be any good to work tomorrow,  I can feel it (wink, wink)


6 comments:

  1. Bob what type of bits will fit in the chuck? Is this just a metal drilling rig or can it be used/adapted for wood?

    ReplyDelete
  2. As most drill of the era, it has a fixed 1/2 in chuck. Yes, it was built as a metal drill, hence low speed high torque, but it will do just fine in wood. But man is it ever built to take on the torque, it's a monster :-)

    Bob, who's hands keep getting dirty just walking by it... Its a mystery :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a real bummer about the broken teeth of that one gear. If I understand correctly, it's not needed when drilling, but needed when retracting the bit. Is that right? Will it be a problem for you or is there another way?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes Matt that gear only comes into play when flipping a lever to retract the bit....after disengaging the auto advance pawl.

    So yeah it will work as is, but I'll see if my local millwright can cut me a new gear.
    Today figured out how that mechanism work. You gave to keep an eye on it and turned it by hand when the toothless spot rotate in places. It worked. So I'll spend the bucks to make it work as advertized :-)

    Bob, who made a supply run and still managed to forget washers and gloves, Doh!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the vaccination. I felt seriously crap for more than a week after my AZ shot but if you're ok after a day, it sounds like it agrees with you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, Paul, Im doing fine. No effects so far, same for Jean. Felt a bit drowsy today, had a nap. That's about it.

    Bob

    ReplyDelete