Monday, May 17, 2021

The greenhouse reborn

 If you remember, last year I put up a temporary greenhouse structure.


I did not survived quite a week and got demolished in a wind storm. :-(


Totally demolished.
We even parked the truck in front to give it some protection :-(

The frame parts got twisted, some pretty badly, but we salvaged what we could and decided to gave it another go this year.

So this year, decided to rebuilt it, stronger, better anchored and hopefully more wind proof.

After gently unbending the parts that needed it and I do meant gently.  Not very thick steel post, kink easily.  I was afraid of breaking some, so I just unbent the worst until the frame came together.  OK, A tad wonky, could had unbend more, but like I said, was worry about breaking some.  That would had been pretty terminal as damages go.

First, we dug a trench around each sides of the structures, set some screws in the bottom of the post on their sides so the cement will have something to grab on, locking the post solidly into the cement.

Off the grid cement mixing :-)
My generator is providing the power to the cement mixer.
Easily handled 2 bags at a time, 3 would had been pushing it.

Both sides done with their cement "boots"

That is 7 bags of 66 lbs cement on each sides for a total of 924 pounds.  All told the total weight should approach close to 1000 pounds, should be grounded solidly this time.

Then I fasten boards on both sides of the greenhouse metal frame.
I used metal strapping and screws. 
The wonkiness on the sides are caused by the still  wonky frame members.
The outside boards are to receive the special fastener for the plastic.

Then  it was just a matter of making up two wood frames to fill in the ends, put a door and windows for ventilation etc.  I had no plans, and worked with what I had on hands.  She went out and bought the special plastic and came back with Qty 10 2X4X8, 10 pieces of 1X3X8  strapping and Qty 6, 1X6X8 boards.  I scrounged what I could around the house for any pieces of 2X lumbers I could find.


It was quickly obvious that I did not have much wood to work with.  So I had to improvised as I went along.

First I put down a thick piece of lumber, roughly even with the sand floor.
The stick in  the middle mark my center of the opening.

I have an aluminum storm door to install, so I took my measurements
 for the door opening from it.

This is what I came up with to fill the frame with my limited amount of wood.
The wide pieces in the bottom give me enough support.
Instead of trying to match the irregular shape of the metal frame, I simply went straight across it.
The last piece on the right is a goof.  Cannot afford too many.
All the cuts are 90s and 45s or close to, easily done on a power miter box.


Took me two goofs to finally figured out why my carefully prepared template got me wrong, twice...


See, the template fit perfectly...

Used it to cut my 2x4 and it is too short...???

Aligned perfectly with my template...
See anything wrong yet??

My template is wider than my 2X4
When lining up my template if I used the bottom, versus the top of it,
 I get a smaller piece at the correct angle...DOH! 

And to think that both time I used my precious template was to "ahem" save on my wood pile by not making costly mistakes...That and I was tired, been under the sun too long and Yaddy Yadda.  But still, annoying!

Then I attached both ends together at the top by using the strapping boards
It really stiffen it up.

Now, how to attached the wood frame to the metal frame.
I resorted to small pieces with a slot to capture the frame.

Drilled a hole centered near the edge

Quick work with a chisel to squared up the sides.


The wooden frames solidly attached to the metal frames.
Joined at the hip :-)
Now ready for the end panels

For the ends panel we recycled the original ends pieces 

End panel attached up front

Stapled and sandwiched with wooden battens around the structure.
These will attach the special rails to it for the top plastic.

Both ends done.  All possible points which could puncture the plastic
 have been rounded and covered with tape at possible rub points.


And then it was time for the special greenhouse plastic.  If you are building a green house, DO NOT use the regular house vapour barrier plastic found at your big box stores.  You need special green house plastic, UV stabilized, won't harden and crack.  Not that expensive and very much worth it.
5 years warranty, which is about all I expect from this structure.  It is temporary
 
Greenhouse plastics comes in various width, we choose 32 ft wide by 40 feet long.  In insight, the next size down, 24 ft would had probably be enough.  Why 40 ft?  cause she wanted to double the cover.
We did not so we have a lot of plastic left over.
Not to worry, we will simply built another with it :-)
Try to pick a day without wind, so much easier :-)


 

Wanted a door, but had nothing on hand, so I simply framed 
the opening same as the front one.



This is how the plastic is attached securely
That track and spring clip makes it so easy and very strong.
No staples, no puncture of plastic,  That is the way to go.
Hint, that is the system they used on commercial greenhouses.


Next up was to bring in power and ventilation.
Bought a simple box fan at the store and built an enclosure box for it to put in my door opening.
Again, more head scratching, cause I'm really running low on lumber by then...

I'm not joking when I said I was running low on lumber.
That last mistake cutting the diagonal too short, had me resort to an uncommon source.
Notice the greenish colour of it?


Now you see it...
Now you don't :-)
That's right I used one of my boards on the cutting grid :-)
That poor board was too long and sticking out, so it came out to play.
I built that thing in 1995, its been around ...

Box fan, boxed.
I used screws for the whole thing so I can take it apart easily to retrofit a door if ever.
She laid down a weed barrier fabric on the floor.  Much easier to keep clean :-)

Made the box into a rain hood.
Still need to tuck in some loose ends around

Installed a security lite.
I thought it was solar, nope, it used 4 D cells.  Hum, will see how long it last.

Work great .


So now, I have to bring in water and hook up her sink inside.  I will need to excavate a trench for bringing in the water lines to a water point to service the green house, orchards and vegetable garden.
That and a waste line from greenhouse sink.

Meanwhile, she has started moving in already 

This will take a while....
From portable greenhouses, basement and shed etc...


What is left from my pile of wood.
At today's Covid prices, worth about $75 :-(


To say that she is happy, would be an understatement :-)
I can now return to my other projects on the go ... 

Bob, tired, sore but happy.  I got lots of Brownies point in the bank :-)




13 comments:

  1. No diagonal bracing to better resist longitudinal wind?
    What about using steel cable and turnbuckles?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whatever happened to spending lockdown rehabbing tools? Well, I suppose you gotta score those brownie points, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I thought of it Sylvain, but it is very stiff as is, I don't think ill need it. The only unknow I have is how it will fare in the winter?? I do not think that the roof shape will accumulate much snow, but you never know. Will keep an eye on it.

    Bob, who just finished a few more touches in it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes Matt, that is why my tool's rehab grinded to a halt. She was getting impatient, Fall is coming you know :-)
    Got a few more projects to finished before I can go back to the drill.

    Bob, with a never ending list of projects

    ReplyDelete
  5. My question will maybe looks bad but why not to have built the structure directly with wood instead of trying to fit a round metal structure (so more complex to do) that is obviously weaker than the wood one? Ok the easy answer would be because I can, I know 😀.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wood price is a problem but Paul Sellers made one mostly from recycled wood:
    https://paulsellers.com/2020/11/framing-the-issues-2/
    https://paulsellers.com/2021/04/studs-make-more-than-doors/

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a huge greenhouse. It's bigger than my combined veg beds.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes Steve but.. That is what she wanted, so... 🤓 But seriously, it is a lot faster and easier if you have a metal frame with hoops.

    Bob the builder

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oups I meant Lionel not Steve in my above comment. And yes Steve, it is a good size :-)

    Bob, with sore back

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice Post! The idea of Green house Really Hits the lifestyle of Thing. And I would Like to share some types of plastic pallet for the coverage of the greenhouse.
    Bubble Roll Manufacturers In Chennai
    carton box manufacturer in chennai
    epe foam manufacturer in chennai
    Top Corrugated Box Manufacturers In Chennai

    ReplyDelete
  11. are made from polyethylene, PVC and polypropylene materials. PVC tarps are mostly used as truck covers while the tarps made from polyethylene and polypropylene are used for grain bunker covers and large shelters. These Tarps are available in different sizes and weights which makes them flexible to use in different conditions.
    부천출장샵
    남양주출장샵
    포천출장샵
    수원출장샵
    성남출장샵

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well your blog is really good and interesting.. I also think kids should be indulged in such kind of activities. It helps in the physical and mental growth. Keep Sharing노블홈타이
    노블홈타이
    노블홈타이
    노블홈타이
    노블홈타이
    노블홈타이
    노블홈타이
    노블홈타이

    ReplyDelete