So yeah, doable in a day.... if you don't have grandkids running around, make a trip to the vet and basically have a life to interfere :-)
Earlier I installed a post, left over piece of 4X4 from the barrel stand project, and put in two hanging plant's bracket. Its location will also help running the
irrigation lines to the beds above ground. There are height differences to be respected for my solar drip system
Construction was simple, butt joints, glued and nails.
I used a water resistant outdoor glue, Titebond II, galvanized finish nails, 1-1/2 in and Liquid nail adhesive to seal the roof panels.
Galvanized nails have a hot zinc dip which makes them somewhat lumpy. This rough coating makes them grip more tenaciously than your regular bright finished wire nails, plus they won't leave rusty streaks on the wood later on.
3PM Friday, almost done
There was no plan in the magazine, just a picture of the finished product, a material list and a partial exploded view. A one page skimpy article basically.
Not that there is anything complicated about it...
The only weakness I can find with this sketchy design in the magazine, was the front gable attachment. I added a 1-1/2 screw on each sides of the gable to help reinforce the connection. That connection is thru end grain, not the most solid... But If I built another one, I would redesign that connection to be attached more solidly.
Before the grand peanuts arrived after school, I had two roof panels
to put on and the door blank.
Door panel dry fit into opening. I cut everything to the specified
dimensions and amazingly, all the parts fitted... :-)
Just in time for the grand peanuts arrival.
The rest would have to wait...
Did not got to work on it until today, Thursday, Cut the gain for the hinges, and install door
Put on hinge on door, scribed around, removed hinge
then cut shallow groove with chisel
My small router Stanley 271, set to the thickness of the hinge
is then used to mark the thickness
The resulting hinge gains
Similarly the router was used to cut the hinges gains
on the cabinet parts
Outside, I gave it a coat of Thomson water seal and wood protector
Installed on post and filled with some tools.
It is secured by two screws from the inside, to prevent twist
and two metal brackets from under
My door panel has developed a significant cup, so that the door does not closed flat unless I put some pressure on it, which of course created some stress cracks. Similar to what happened with one of my roof panels.
I may have to revisit that door panel and make a new one. If and when I would used laminated stock instead of relying on a large piece.
Only thing left is to install the door handle and locking hasp, but that would have to wait until the temp drop down a bit, it is brutally hot today, but the wind is keeping most of the bugs away. They don't seems to fly well with these shearing winds :-)
When she got home, she added more tools.
I will have to organized them better, with holders and hooks of some sort.
The plant hanger's hooks are a great place to hold Rudy's leash
while working in the garden :-)
My sophisticated, temporary locking mechanism...
Until I get around making a new door...