Wednesday, September 29, 2021

The return of the Post Drill

 It has been a while I had a chance to touch it since Spring.

Now that I am finished with a lot of higher priorities projects and with Jean gone for a few days, I can now go back to it.  I was getting a bit anxious because it is a very messy project, I must go outside to degrease/derust/paint.  We are already late September, won't have many more nice days to work on it outside.

Its been laying around in the garage for a while and it shows

Dusty and with cobwebs.



Brought Jean's small compressor out to blow the dust and dirt out.  It spent the summer in the greenhouse used to blow up pool's toys.


After some final (?) Scraping and a last coat of Krud Kutter paint prep, I brushed a gloss black oil based rust paint.  

I like the way the paint flows and leveled out.  
Easier than trying to spray and better results.

I had some brief short-lived ideas about doing a paint strip job in gold and dry brushing the raised cast letters in red, but reality set in and I must be done SOON 😁

So I'll go with simply dry brushing white paint on it.  All I had was a high temp white spray paint can.  Went to the store shopping


Came back with a paint can of the same fancy rust paint but in white.  A bit overkill yes, but I'll take it. Also got two small foam brushes for the lettering

Oh, that hand drill?
I just happened to be passing by a yard sale or two on my way to the stores:-)


My dry brushing techniques leaves a lot to be desired.

First of all, it was hardly "dry" , had to load paint on the brush often for it to works .  Made a mess with using the foam brush first, which i made messier trying to wipe it off and start again.  So yeah, scraping and repainting later made it better, but I'll touch it up a  bit.

While it is no doubts a very good rust paint, it tends to dry strangely.  Whenever you need to go near it, you will get black marks on you.  Whenever you try to scrape it, it never seems to be dry and you still end up with black marks on your clothes.  Honest Dear, that is my story :-)

The work table, I am not yet, painting the bottom gloss black.  It is currently flat black.  I need some judicious filings to make it sit 90 degrees to spindle.  The cast bracket is slightly twisted, NOT trying to straighten it.  Should be able to correct with some filings and perhaps brass shims??

Top surface will be sanded

the solid steel post also is in need of sanding

The brackets for the post and table 

Found this detail while cleaning the part.  
It is in the back and probably not much visible, but I thought I give it a try.
A lot harder than I thought :-)

Done with re-re-touching the paint, as good as it is gonna get :-)




Some sanding on the rods, reassemble the small parts, lubricate thoroughly, then ready to be mounted on the beam..  I will add the remaining heavy parts AFTER it is up. 

Previously found a period correct oil can oiler

Next, while the paint dry, (eventually) time to go revisit the beam in my shop.

Its been holding up in the shop for more than a year by now.  It has done all its stupid wood tricks and settled by now.

I am going to bolt the post to the main floor joist (where clamp is)
add a spacer to blocking on RHS and lock it with a carriage bolt

Bottom of post is secured in a post cement block.
You can see how much it has twisted since.

The bottom of the post rest in a cement post block for a 6x6.  It is heavy, you will not move the post if you kicked it, while still allowing the post to twist as it needed it

Cross board held by a clamp is by calculated height
for the bottom of the back board on the Post drill.
Final height may vary :-)

Managed to finished another small project, in between paint drying.

The small foot stool which had a broken corner block for its leg.

I previously cut and fitted the two new corner blocks, remained only to attached and colour matched them.

I only needed one block, but I ended up with two and rebuilt one corner from the ground up.

I decided after I glued my blocks, that I should stained it darker brown to match.
Would only be ever seen if looking under stool 

Next it will get recovered... later

For now, it is back into service

Then, since I have now a temporary shelter, I can actually walk all around my poor Unisaw.

The bottom wheeled rack I made years ago is in dire need of paint
I am NOT taking the Unisaw off its wheeled base.

When we came back here in 2011, they broke the button at the end of my T-Square fence.

Never had luck getting a replacement.  Found something close at Busy Bee, but the hole is slightly smaller.  Mine originally had an elongated button, my replacement are rounds like my older Beisemeyer fence I once had

Tapped the hole bigger with correct tap size.
Made effortless cut in that hard Bakelite like plastic.
The molding line was filed off to make it more comfortable.

Screw tight, no looseness

Work like a charm

Magnet is what hold it up.

Winter project, bring in 220V in garage

Added lite to the temporary shelter, next is alarms/security.measures



Bob, scratching his forehead  wondering where these black marks came from on his forehead ?? :-)

4 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see the drill make some chips.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too Ralph, me too 😁
    Hopefully soon...

    Bob, the everlasting optimist

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love those old post drills. Glad to see you finally had time to work on it. I'm sure using it is going to make you giddy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It will be hard to tell Matt, Im already giddy 😁

    Bob, sipping coffee

    ReplyDelete