Sunday, August 26, 2018

Cleaning and reminescing

Before we left end of July, I was starting to get some blisters from all the tree pruning I had been doing.  Jean made me stopped my yard work until my hands looks better.
Thats right, real men dont wear gloves... :-)

Well after all this time, I’m healed, lets make some new ones :-)

We don't have the heat waves we had recently, but it is still pretty hot in the day time.  I usually work outside early in the morning before the sun heats up too fast. Past 1100 or whenever I am sweating buckets, it's time to stop and retreats inside to the air conditioned rooms.
Everyday, I check after 2 PM, our Government website which shows which County are OK to burn today. I live in Kings County, by the Bay of Fundy.

More branches to burn, getting there slowly.
Sure am getting good uses of my new fire pit.

Since our return, I managed to get four nites of burn so far, yesterday being my last one.
I am slowly going around my lot line cleaning up the trees branches from the trees that were dropped.
I need to get that line cleaned up in prevision of an upcomming fence.

When I retreat inside, lately the garage has been cool, thanks to the cross breeze from my opened new windows. Of course, in order to get remotely close to those window frames, neccessitated some ahem, re-arranging, stuff around the floor.

OK Dad, a little more stuff on the right and the left and we are done,
 I don't see any squirrels in there


While I had to, may as well, keep going around the floor and peek a boo inside crates, boxes what have you.  Some have not been opened since... a long while.

As I go around, the idea is to re-organize and turf stuff out.  Well, that would be the idea ...
Relocating the lathe, opened up a whole area I have not seen into in awhile.
And since both bench areas in front of the windows had to be cleared, I have horizontal surfaces to spread out stuff.. or Crappola as Ralph would says

One of my old school box lunch, circa early 60s, with stuff inside

During the Apollo moon missions, I was fascinated with all the cameras and stuff.
So I made myself a bunch of cameras and set décor and filmed my own man on the moon landings:-)
Mom had a super 8mm cameras, I made some films with special effects, including pyrotechnics using smalls firecrackers and pellets gun shooting.
What? You did not think I could had landed on the moon for real right!? :-)
Oh, and they all got shot by aliens at the end...

One of my early digital clocks from the 70s. This was No 2, a deluxe version made a lot simpler by the use of a dedicated clock chip. My first one was a power hungry TTLs affair.
That used a Tandy Radio Shack board and chip, most other parts came from Addison in Montreal 

It will need some tender loving care.
Wonder if it still works?? Will find out...

Under it was a bunch of old headsets, some world war 2 surplus stuff

Wow, some of these chemicals are getting old...
from L-R
- A Kodak film cleaner, went thru a few of those in the early 80s transferring my old Super 8 to VHS
- Contact cement, no idea if still good ?
- A very interesting magnetic fluid, used to troubleshoot multi heads tape recorders, it let you see the recorded pattern on the tape, pretty cool stuff.  From my early days of  maintaining tape recorders: audio, video and digital tapes
- A caved in ABS cement can, trash.

Found this stuff in an old Steinberg grocery store bag, 
so from Quebec and mid 80s. Looks like stuff that was found in our old farm house we lived in before moving to Bagotville on our first tour 1984-7 
Yes, turfed most everything...

Starting to look good, pretty well done in that area.

I can walk around my table saw, bonus :-)

This area has all been cleared and cleaned, there was evidence of squirrels activities, 
but I don't think they are back.  Nonetheless, Rudy is still keeping an eye out, 
every times he goes in... making sure

My next wall to tackle, yippee

Between gathering wood in the morning for burning in the late evenings and cleaning the garage, not much progress on my next installment's on the moulding planes.  But I promised her that my accumulating piles of planes and books in the living room will disappeared soon, so I better get back to it, besides, I still don't wear gloves :-)

Came across an older sign that was in my dad workshop

Dad old sign, that type of sign was common in Quebec in the late 40s-60s
A glass plate with back painted gold lines, a backing of lightly embossed aluminum foil with black lettering. The whole sandwich is held together by crimping the bottom mounting plate to the wavy glass sides. They long stopped making those...

I normally hang his "shingle" over in my shops, 
like I did in my last shop in Bagotville 2006-11


And these cabinets in that last picture, are the usual types I built for my shops thru the years. 3/4 MDF, with rabbet and groove joinery, glued and screwed, using special screws, then painted. They are mounted on adjustable foots so they are not in contact with the floor.  I plan on doing some more soon for this garage.

And lastly, all my previous woodworking mistakes and some stuff I kept for what??? are going up in smoke.... never to be seen again



Bob, who better get back to his moulding planes saga before she... :-)
Yes dear...

6 comments:

  1. Hi Bob

    I am really impressed with the amount of cleaning and organizing that you are doing. I personally have a very hard time throwing out old half completed woodworking projects. But I admire those who have got the guts to do so.
    I always imagine that someday I will want to complete some old project though deep inside I know that it is not going to happen.
    Maybe I should try to put all sentimentality aside and do a thorough cleaning one day.

    Woof from Bertha and brgds from me
    Jonas

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Jonas, Oh I hear you loud and clear, not easy to get rid of some sentimental stuff... I know all too well, judging by what I am still founding :-)

    Yes, I am getting rid of stuff, permanently you may say, but I am still hanging on to some yet to be finished projects. Some I rather burn, it is quite liberating after all :-)

    Bob and Rudy, sending woofs back

    Enjoy your time home while it last my friend.. I don't miss deploying anymore you know...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bob

      I am "sadly" back on board..
      But the good thing is that it gets me behind a computer for some blogging and commenting again :-)

      On another note:
      At the last DCBE you commented about flying in for the next one. If you are still interested, you are more than welcome.
      It will be held in week 39 from the 24th of September and ending Saturday.
      You can email me at:
      bloksav insert-the-funny-sign-here gmail.com

      Brgds
      Jonas

      Delete
  3. Are you sure you aren't moving piles around in a 360 around the garage? What kind of a mechanic was your Dad? Mechanical or electronic?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ralph, oups busted :-)
    Dad was a car mechanic, heavy machinery (caterpillar), fork lift tech and etc.
    He knew some basic electrical, house and car wiring, but not electronics, which is why I decided early on, that what was needed for me ....
    Got my small machinist tool chest empty, cleaned and repack. Working on next tool box...

    Bob, slowly making progress in the garage

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bob,

    I feel your pain of both fronts, cleaning and saving. Both are hard to do. At least you had Rudy to help.

    ken

    ReplyDelete